Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
CE993a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My home printer(LJ M602), when connected to an ethernet cable is being hacked. In the morning when I go into my home office, I find the output bin on my printer loaded with paper. All the sheets have one or two lines of ascii text duplexed. My wireless inkjet printer is fine. If I connect the M602 printer to a USB port There is no problem.

What can I do to lock down my printer?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

It may not be hacked, you could have a corrupted printer driver that is sending jobs. The first thing you want to try is setting the printer for a different IP address but do not setup any drivers to see if the issue continues. You could also disconnect your network from the internet one night to see if the issue is still present. If your printer is hacked you should be concerned that all your computer equipment may be compromised. If that is the case, you need more help than can be provided in a simple question and answer session here.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Like I wrote, If I connect the printer using USB port, I have no problems.

I should have added that initially when this first started a character (stick figure) was printed on the middle of the first page.

That was my 1st clue of a hacker.

HP Recommended

Ok some basics:

1- home router and modem are not using default passwords, change the passwords

2- Secure password on the Embedded Webserver of the printer

consult this page for security advice: https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c03687861

As I originally stated, I would be concerned about the overall security of your network, not just the printer.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.