Post new question
Question

Highlighted
Student
Message 1 of 4 (150 Views)

How can I reset my admin password on my HP LaserJet M281cdw

Product Name: M281cdw
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I setup this printer in my previous house and now that I moved I need to setup my printer again unforunately I forgot my admin password.  How can I reset it and better yet how can I reset it default factory setting so I can redo the whole thing again?

I tried to go to "setup"->"Service" but since it is password protected now I cannot do anything.

Thanks for any help.

Matthew

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 4 (128 Views)

Re: How can I reset my admin password on my HP LaserJet M281cdw

Hi @matt_so,

Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out :)

As I understand, your printer is asking for username and password. 

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help you. 

I'm sending out a Private message with the reset instructions,

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Flower_Bud

I am an HP Employee 

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button.

Top Student
Message 3 of 4 (53 Views)

@Flower_Bud  I am having the same issue. I am locked out of my printer and desperately need to get it to work. I moved houses and when I set the printer up at the new place, it requested a password to access any of the menus. I do not know the password and don't even remember setting one up. Can you help me reset my printer and get it working again? Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 4 (37 Views)

@KB2018,

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

Flower_Bud is at your service :)

As I understand, you're unable to print from your printer since its request for a password,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution :)

When was the last time it worked fine?

Have you made any hardware/software changes? 

What is the printer model name? 

Is it asking for a Wi-Fi password? Could you share a picture of the screen where it's asking for a password? 

Once I have the information, I will be help you resolve the issue :)

Let me know,

Cheers ;)

Flower_Bud

I am an HP Employee 

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation