Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Please help, the autoshutdown feature knocks my printer off of the wireless network and I can't print to it. I HATE having to walk into another room and wake the printer up before I print to it. Why can't it just stay on so I can print without all of the hassle?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@axorth I suggest you check the auto-off or sleep mode settings on the printer, and if you've gone through it and yet it doesn't work, here's what'll help:

Please follow the below steps to assign a manual/static IP to resolve your concern:

-Verify in the printer that 'Auto Off/Sleep' is disabled. Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) by going to the printers IP address in your browsers address bar, click Settings Tab/Auto-Off. --Or use the Printer Assistant, Printer Home Page (EWS). Also, check your Printers Properties.

-If the printer supports and has IPv6 enabled, turn off IPv6 in the printer.

-If needed and you assigned a static IP address, try using 8.8.8.8 for the Preferred DNS server and 8.8.4.4 at the Alternate DNS server. 

-Verify the printer is on the latest firmware by checking with the HP Support site.

In the router: (Refer to your router manual for information) 

Use a fixed wireless channel like 1, 6 or 11, never 'auto', try channel 1 first then the rest. 

Set router to 20Mhz only, or 145Mbps depending on the router. 

Always use WPA2-AES (Personal) encryption, but you can try `mixed' mode. 

Disable WPS and never use it and disable UPnP for the routers security. Nobody can hack your system now and helps with wireless connectivity (if you want to know why search the web).

If you have a dual-band router (2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz bands), make sure the SSID's are NOT the same, they must be different for all bands, even for any Guest networks.

SSID broadcast must be enabled.

Save all settings. Power off both, wait 2 mins. Power on the router and wait 2 mins. 

Power on the printer and verify it reconnects to the router

You can also refer to the below video for the same. 

Note that, in the video, the interface shown is the Windows interface, but the steps are the same as it done using a web browser. 

And the article may have the title of another printer, but the steps are bound to help resolve your concern as well.

CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE VIDEO

And upgrade the printer firmware as well: click here for details.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem as the OP, but with an ethernet connection that drops after the printer goes to sleep.  The printer is set up to use a static address based on mac address, as are all (12) machines on this LAN including a HP Business Inkjet w/JetDirect.  My M255dw is new, just received a couple days ago.  IPv6 is disabled.

Your solution - which I see repeated often for other HP printers - is to disable the Auto Off/Sleep function either thru the printer panel or EWS (which is what I also use).  However, there is no such option on either the panel or web browser EWS page.

The only controls are "Sleep/Auto Off After Inactivity" => 1 minute up to 1 hour

Shut Down After Inactivity:  2, 4, or 8 hours.

and the Delay when ports are active, which is checked.

On this machine, how is Auto Off disabled???

HP Recommended

To meet eco standards so units do not have the option to completely disable sleep. About the best you can manage is make sure that the stay awake while ports are active is turned on.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

"About the best you can manage is make sure that the stay awake while ports are active is turned on."

Exactly what ports does this refer to?  Since "ports" is plural, this must refer to more than just the printer's port.  There are other ports to the router, directly and via a switch, which never are inactive, yet the m255dw still drops the link.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I have solved this problem, at least when using an ethernet connection.   For wireless, see below.

First, you must use a static (aka reserved) IP address.  The point of avoiding DHCP assignment is that it may roll over the present IP and confuse the connection.  On some routers a static IP is set up separate from the DHCP pool, on others the IP is within the pool but has a fixed IP based on its MAC address.  This is true regardless of ethernet or wireless.  Either way, the IP must have a fixed assignment to the printer in your router.

Second, under the Networking tab in the EWS web browser page, in the IPv4 Configuration page, provide your static IP and change the Preferred Address Method to Manual rather than DHCP. 

I also have the "Delay when ports are active" switch turned on.  With my network that doesn't make a difference but it might with yours, so be sure it is enabled.

As far as wireless, I suspect the above may work because all you are changing is the DHCP behavior in both router and printer.  Whether the network is wireline or wireless or mixed, the same IP and DHCP rules apply.  

Finally, I think the printer side steps above can be done thru the touchscreen, but with a lot more work and less clarity.  Use the EWS via a browser.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.