Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
laserjet Pro MFP M479fdw
Other

I just bought this printer and went for inaugural scan only to be frustrated by the fact that it won't recognize a photo I've placed on the flatbed of the scanner.  Instead it wants me to put it through the feeder and keeps insisting that there is no document in the automatic feeder.

How do I change the source to the flat bed?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

What software are you using to scan and what  operating system is your computer? If you are using HP scan there is a drop down  selection for either flatbed or ADF.

scanner bed.jpg

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response RT, I appreciate it.

I'm using HP Easy Scan and I'm on a Mac using Catalina, OS 10.15.

I have actually changed the source to Flatbed (below image 1) in the settings but even so it won't follow through and insists it is looking for a document in the automatic feeder (below image 2)

I've tried putting different document sizes on the scanbed thinking it wasn't sensing an object but that hasn't worked.

Going to the control panel on the printer is worse, it doesn't really give me much.

This is why i find the whole thing so maddening!

It's like it has a hardwired default preference that blocks the whole scanning process from going forward.

I'm sure there's a simple solution but I've gone through every menu I can access on the top toolbar with no success.

Any Ideas?

Thanks again for trying.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The issue with HP Easy Scan and macOS 10.15 Catalina is a known issue. 

You may use Image Capture as a workaround.

Please refer to this document for further information. 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06455960 

I work on behalf of HP
Regards,
StretchMusic

If the answer provided resolves your issue please press the thumbs up button in order to make the answer available to others.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.