Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M277dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The scanner unit on this printer has a mechanical issue.  It gives me "scanner error 13".  

I decided not to try to fix it - HP tech support was no help, they just wanted me to mail the entire unit if for a repair which would probably cost more than the whole unit did.  So I decided enough with these dual function units where one part goes down and takes down the entire unit.  I bought a new separate scanner.

Now, does someone know  if I remove the scanner part from the old printer, will it stop giving me error messages and these repeated needs to reboot to get it to print again?  If something as simple as a wire cutter to that wide connector will do the trick, all the better.  Or I will go in an unplug that connector if that is needed.  

No more of these dual function units for me!

Thanks for the advice. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Likely cutting wires or unplugging connectors is not going to work as the brain of the system looks for signals from the scanner unit and if it doesn't see any signals it will assume a total failure and lock up.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@NaviMKE
I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Likely cutting wires or unplugging connectors is not going to work as the brain of the system looks for signals from the scanner unit and if it doesn't see any signals it will assume a total failure and lock up.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

That is what I was afraid of.  HP needs to make a way to disable that function.  I recently put almost $500 of new toner cartridges into that machine and of course, HP’s new machines won’t run those cartridges.  HP has a real problem here if they intend to keep a long time customer like me.  So when the cartridges run out I go shopping for a new printer.  And this time there is a good chance it will not be HP.  I will see what they have to offer, but as in the case of the scanner, it may be another company.  BROTHER got my business for the new scanner.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.