Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet pro M15
Android 9.0 Pie

Have tried to print on new M15 using both samsung s8 android phone and pixelbook with no success.  Configuration report says wifi direct status disabled. Using phone, printer is listed as a wifi network, but when wifi direct is selected it no longer shows, although a neighbor's hp printer and my amazon firestick do show as available for wifi direct.  

Following hp manual, I did press resume/cancel button on printer to try to enter printer host name ([edit]) using chrome browser but get message that I'm offline and that a google search can't be performed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Generally, the printer ship Setup Mode.

Enabling Wi-Fi Direct should be done by connecting the printer to a computer with a USB or by connecting the printer to an existing wireless network using a computer or the HP Smart app.

Once connecting the printer to a wireless network and the blue light lits, HP Wi-Fi Direct is enabled immediately.

Once installing the printer on a computer using USB and Enabling Wi-Fi Direct during the setup it enables immediately unless unplugging the USB, then it returns to Setup mode till the 2 hours setup period completes (Wi-Fi Direct becomes available after 2 hours)

If you have no computer or a wireless network available you may follow below steps:

Power on the printer and ensure the wifi light is blinking, then connect your phone to the HP-Setup-M15 SSID.

From your browser browse to http://192.168.223.1

Under Network locate the Wi-Fi Direct option and enable it and take note of its password.

Note: as the printer is in Setup Mode you may see the Setup-SSID network for 2 hours, only once the Setup mode expired (after 2 hours), the Setup SSID should no longer be shown and the Direct SSID should be shown instead.

Hope that helps,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

When a new printer is purchased the wi-fi direct option is set to OFF, and you will need to turn in ON.

To turn wi-fi direct ON you will need to have a device with a web browser and a printer connected to the same wi-fi, then in your web browser, you enter printers IP address that will open Embedded Web Server ( EWS). In the EWS under Networking, you will have the option to turn wi-fi direct ON.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

OK, I get it...I need to first enable wifi direct on the printer by connecting my phone to the internet, then connect the phone to the printer, then use the printer's EWS feature to do the enable.

With my Samsung S8 Android phone connected to internet via wifi I entered printer host name (from printed printer configuration page) in Chrome browser (web site/search field) but EWS did not open, instead google tried to do a search on host name.  

Can you kindly offer another tip to keep me on track?

Once wifi direct is enabled, what method/app should I use for 1) my phone, and 2) my Pixelbook chromebook to use wifi direct...

for example HP Smart, HP Print Service Plugin, or perhaps a generic function of the samsung S8?

HP Recommended

To enable wi-fi direct you need to use EWS.

To use EWS you need your printer and your computer ( or smart device) to be connected on the same network. When your printer is connected to the wireless network it gets an IP address, use that IP address on the smart device that is connected to the same wireless network and enter printers IP address instead of your browsers web page.

User manual page 27.

This would be like a 1-minute job if your printed had a front panel that you can use to enable wi-fi direct. Without the front panel, it's little more complicated.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Hi,

Generally, the printer ship Setup Mode.

Enabling Wi-Fi Direct should be done by connecting the printer to a computer with a USB or by connecting the printer to an existing wireless network using a computer or the HP Smart app.

Once connecting the printer to a wireless network and the blue light lits, HP Wi-Fi Direct is enabled immediately.

Once installing the printer on a computer using USB and Enabling Wi-Fi Direct during the setup it enables immediately unless unplugging the USB, then it returns to Setup mode till the 2 hours setup period completes (Wi-Fi Direct becomes available after 2 hours)

If you have no computer or a wireless network available you may follow below steps:

Power on the printer and ensure the wifi light is blinking, then connect your phone to the HP-Setup-M15 SSID.

From your browser browse to http://192.168.223.1

Under Network locate the Wi-Fi Direct option and enable it and take note of its password.

Note: as the printer is in Setup Mode you may see the Setup-SSID network for 2 hours, only once the Setup mode expired (after 2 hours), the Setup SSID should no longer be shown and the Direct SSID should be shown instead.

Hope that helps,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Thanks Shlomil!  Worked like a champ using your no-computer, no-wifi method and hp print service plugin app.

Now I can take some time to better understand this and streamline the printing process.

HP Recommended

Ok, so doing it this way doesnt even require downloading the HP Apps either?

HP Recommended

Hello there.

Im struggling to connect my new m15w with my android phone. Although the hp smart app detects the printer and sends print however nothing is printed. One more than, the blue light on the printer continues to blink. Should it stop working if my phone is connected with the printer?

HP Recommended

Hi,

The blue wifi light should blink if you use Wi-Fi Direct, it should stop blinking only if the printer is connected to a wireless network, which is not in this scenario.

"Although the hp smart app detects the printer and sends print however nothing is printed"

Do you mean it prints a blank page? please clarify your intention.

Assuming I'm correct and a blank page is printed, please open the cartridge access door and remove the printer, make sure any packing material been removed as described below:

• Bend the tab on the toner cartridge, and then pull the tab until all the sealing tape is removed from the toner cartridge.
    c05850744

Shlomi

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.