Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet MFP M477fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought a LaserJet MFP M477fdw. After using it for a day I suddenly realize that the printer turns itself off after some time of inactivity. I did find the setting for the Auto-Off time, but there is no value for setting it to never, only 2, 4 or 8 hours. This cannot be the case? How do I set the printer to only go to sleep and never to turn off itself? 

The specification says something about a Auto-on function. Where do I find this? Could it be used to be able to print at any time without the need to first turn the printer on?

There cannot possibly be the case that I have to go to the printer and turn it on every time I want to print something? What good is a 10 seconds to first page print if I cannot print the first page without first travel to the printer location?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

User manual from page 106.

https://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1032222376.pdf

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply! 

I have seen the settings and I have changed them to maximal Auto Off after 8h and I have checked the When ports are active option. Still it do shut down after 8 hours, since this is what the setting says obviously . Maybe my question was a bit unclear, I would very much want an option that is Never rather than 8 hours. Or some other setting that produce that result.  

There is a lot of situations when there will pass more than 8 hours between printing. And I would rather have it ready to print anyway without the need to turn it on. It could be in the morning if I forget to go and turn it on (which I will). Or late at night when I want to print an email from my phone, maybe I'm even already in bed. Or if I remember I need to print something during the weekend. Or when my wife or kids yell at me because they cannot print. 

I have had so many printers during both my professional and my private life, including several HP laserjet printers, but none of my previous printers have completely shut them self off, without me using the actual off-switch on the printer. Surely there must be a way to have the printer to goto sleep, but not turn off until I choose to do so?

Any help would be much appreciated!

HP Recommended

There is no option for that in this model ( maybe in future with a new firmware but I doubt).

Your printer will shut down after 8 hours, no setting will make your printer be in sleep mode or prepared to print if inactive for more than 8 hours.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks again for your respons. 

I Understand. Very strange design decision by HP. Guess I just have to cross my fingers for a firmware update in the future. Just wish I've known before I bought the printer, then I would most certainly have choosed a different brand.

Spending a couple of hours googling the problem there seem to be a couple of work arounds, all using the fact that the "When ports are active"-option will prevent the printer from shutting down.

If someone knows a good work around for this, I would be most grateful if you posted it here.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.