Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
A8P79A (521DN Laserjet Printer)
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello,

I'm having an issue with an Hp Laserjet Printer. It's a 521DN MFP model, and I'm running Windows 10. The printer is hooked up to a wired network environment in a school classroom. The issue that I'm experiencing is that the printer continues to restart itself like every 20 seconds. I have tried a hard reset, checking the print queue to see if there is a corrupt job in the queue, but the queue is clear. I tried to update the firmware but the printer says it's offline, and will not let me update the firmware. The only other thing I haven't tried is to uninstall and reinstall the print driver on all 30 machines. This happened once before, and it was a corrupt print job, but this isn't the case. I can't even override the control panel by pressing the back+home key. It displays a short second, and then resets. Any help you can give me on this one would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

First, disconnect the network cable from the printer. 

Second, remove the power cord for 60 seconds with the power switch left in the ON position.

Now, plug the power cord back in and power the printer ON.

Does it power up and come ready? 

Yes - now print a self test page of some kind from the control panel to make sure it works.

Connect the network cable back in and wait. I suspect it will error out with a 49 or 79 error and reboot again.

This means that there is a print job on the network/computer somewhere that is being sent to the printer that you'll need to find and delete. Check every computer. 

No - If it still won't boot up to ready and still reboots constantly without the network cable attached, then you probably have a bad formatter that needs to be replaced. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response, I'll give that a try today, and see what happens. I appreciate the help!! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.