Did you mean: 
David2261
Level 1
2 1 1 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I am getting smudges on my copies 2.24 inches apart on a mfp477. Any suggestions? Maybe the fuser?

mfp477
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

mfp477 smudges.jpgmfp477 smudges 2.25 inches apart

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 10
2,492 2,481 223 461
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I am getting smudges on my copies 2.24 inches apart on a mfp477. Any suggestions? Maybe the fuser?

99% that your fuser has failed. There is a defect in the hot roller where the film is split. Fuser repair or replacement. Any chance you still have warranty?

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
tonerspills
Level 7
629 620 49 97
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

fuser part #'s

RM2-6418 duplex fuser

RM2-6431 simplex fuser

looks like a tear or a liquid smudge, or a piece of paper went through the machine that had some contaminate from manufacturing or coffee creamer (hazelnut).

You might want to try another 4 or 5 cleaning pages and see if it improves- if it is a label or some type of liquid smudge- you'd still have to take the printer apart to try and clean it off. It's a doable repair for someone mechanically inclined- there are videos online

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.
David2261
Level 1
2 1 1 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks for the help. Took the fuser unit out and it has a damaged roller matching the smudge spot exactly. 

Got to get a new fuser

Thanks !

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation