Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate. Restarting doesn't help. I unplug the printer and restart it the error goes away but comes back on the next job.

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Did you ever resolve this issue.  I am having the same problem.  Only have 2600 pages through this printer.  This printer will not print from the control panel or the PC.  Was able to update the firmware but it didn't make a difference.  Tried the driver for Windows 7 - no difference.  I can't get any help from HP.  Get a 79 error and the printer reboots.  Have seen a 49 error, also.  Have been able to web-connect to this printer but it locks up.  I have tp unplug the printer and wait several minutes before attempting.  Has anyone got a clue?  I am frustrated.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks for the post.  With this one, we may have several options to look at.  Typically describes a internal firmware issue/failure.  There are some things to try listed in the document below.  (also applies to 49 error)  Good Luck!!

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=...

79 Error
Error message
79 Error
Turn off then on
Description
This is a critical error message and can indicate some kind of failure. Cycling the power might fix the problem. If a critical error persists, the printer might require service. The printer has experienced an internal firmware error.
Action
Turn off the power by using the power switch, wait at least 30 seconds, and then turn on the power and wait for the printer to initialize.
If you have recently installed a memory DIMM in the printer, turn off the printer, remove the memory DIMM, reinstall the DIMM to verify that it is seated properly, and then turn on the printer.
If a surge protector is being used, remove it. Plug the printer directly into the wall socket. Use the power switch to turn the printer on.
If the error persists, contact HP Customer Care. See HP Customer Care or the support flyer that came in the printer box.

I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own....Thank you!

*Say thanks by clicking the *Kudos!* which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.  This is word for word what I read on line.  Here is what I have done after trying what you just mentioned.  I have an identical printer on my desk at work.  I "borrowed" the (2) PC Boards from it and tried them, one at a time, in my printer.  Neither made a difference (my printer at work still works).  So, to me, that means the problem is elsewhere.  I am able to print 1 job at a time but it comes with much anquish.  Turning off and turning on multiple times.  I have tried with the USB connection and mostly ethernet.  It even locks up while looking at the control panel through my ethernet connection.  I really like HP LaserJets from my experience at work but I am getting soured with my first personal experience.  And, stupid me, just bought an M375nw to replace it (I would still like to repair my 2605!).  So, if you can offer some help from this, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks! 

HP Recommended

Hello again,

Well, first off, I've heard nothing but good things about the 375nw, so I really hope that you're not disappointed.  Good job on the t-shooting efforts, the only thing that you did not mention is if it is plugged directly into an outlet, not through a power strip or surge suppressor.  As strange as it sounds, I have seen some peculiar behavior from printers in that type of configuration.  Short of that, I might also suggest posting your question/issue on the following links:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Support-Forums/ct-p/business-support

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-LaserJet/bd-p/bsc-413

Meantime, I will continue to see what I can dig up on this end and let you know my findings.......

I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own....Thank you!

*Say thanks by clicking the *Kudos!* which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

HP Recommended

This worked for me and solved the error 79.

1. Know the IP, in case you want to ping the printer at step 5.

2. Power off

3. Open the rear cover.

4. Remove power on the right card (it's only one plug possible on top of card)

5. Power on

6. Load the latest firmware

7. Power off and connect the power on the card back again

8. Power on and test

It should now be fine. At least it was for me 🙂

It is probably even more simpler to just open the small hatch on the rear cover, and unplug the communication cable. You may try that first, before remove the whole back cover.

Good luck

HP Recommended

Curious...

1.  How did you decide to open up the unit and disconnect the ribbon cable between the 2 boards?

2.  Can someone from HP please validate that procedure as a fix?

3.  If that is indeed is a valid fix, why does it correct the problem in the system?

HP Recommended

R1200CL is right...partially.  I had the same errors and it has nothing to do with firmware or drivers.   Here is the 5 minute repair.  

1) Unplug power and network cords.  

2) Remove 1 screw from the little silver door about in the middle and open door.  You will see a ribbon cable.  I think this is for the communications card.  Gently, using a pair of flat plyers, pull the ribbon out.   Then gently put it back in.  I think due to dust, moisture...whatever, it losses connections.  Removing and reinstalling cleans it.

3) Close the door, put the screw back in, plug cords back in and turn on.  

Let it cycle and the communications problem should be gone.  Verify by printing a test page.  Thank you R1200CL for posting.  I hope this helps everyone else out too. 

HP Recommended

I tried the ribbon pull out and push back in solution to this problem and it worked flawlessly.  I'm very happy. Thanks for the solution - I've been looking on line for about an hour and nothing sounded very optomistic until I ran across this and tried it!

HP Recommended

Thank you for this solution. It's really work.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.