Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
MFP M479fdw

I want to post a firmware bug:

I have a Color LaserJet Pro MFP F479fdw.d

When I attempt to copy a legal size 8.5" x 14" document and resize it to letter size 8.5" x 11", I am given two choices:

1. Automatically detect the paper size.  This feeds through my scanned documents, but stops scanning them at 11".  This is no good.

2. Set the scanned paper size to Legal.  This scans the entire page, but the printer expects legal size paper to print on.

THE WHOLE POINT IS THAT I AM SCANNING A LEGAL SIZE DOCUMENT AND I WANT TO PRINT IT TO LETTER!!!

Can someone please fix this?  Thank you.

Also, don't ask be about the run around your automated service gave me.  I might yell at you.

My printer model number is not recognized by your system.

There's no serial number on my printer that I can find, and I even checked the bottom.  Good thing I still had the box.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Your description piqued my interest. Please note that my tests were done with an M428 MFP. I had issues with it not wanting to produce the correct sized document but in the end I did get it to work. 

My settings were as follows: 

Tray 2 set for letter sized paper.

In copy options for to resize and select legal to letter

Change original size to legal

When it starts to scan it will prompt to load legal in tray 1 or press ok to use available media. Press OK and the copy will come out correctly.

This requires what should be an unnecessary extra step but until the issue is resolved it does give you a way to produce the document you want. This test was done using firmware revision 002_2014A 

To find your serial number, open the MP tray and look on the left and you should see a sticker.

I have escalated this to my contacts at HP for review.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.