Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro MFP M278-281
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP would not allow me to install the printer unless I put it on the WiFi... but I don't want it on WiFi because other people will print to it.  How can I get if off WiFi and just connected with USB?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Since I never could get it off the WiFi network, what I ended up doing, was just changing the NAME of the printer to make it clear that it's not one of the printers anyone should select to print to:  "Private Printer, Room 402".

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

If you want to run on USB, download the full install from support.hp.com and when you run the install it gives you the option of how you are going to connect. Select USB and then the install will prompt you to plug in the USB cable. Keep in mind that some features are not available when connected via USB. Notably,  you cannot scan directly to email and cannot scan to a network folder. You will need to run the uninstall first.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you, but that did not work.  It just stopped and would not download the software until I agreed to let it be on the WiFi.  I know about the limitations you mention and I don't care if I don't have those features.  Another alternative would be making the printer invisible on the network, IF that is possible.  But I live in a large convent and sometimes people accidentally print to my Inkjet.  With this LaserJet (cost of cartridges) I don't want that happening.

HP Recommended

Well, checking the manual this device supports wifi direct, so you could configure it that way and not give the password to anyone. They may see the printer but would not be able to connect to it.

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c04577030

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Since I never could get it off the WiFi network, what I ended up doing, was just changing the NAME of the printer to make it clear that it's not one of the printers anyone should select to print to:  "Private Printer, Room 402".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.