Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet 2300dtn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My trusty old HP Laserjet 2300dtn is starting to have some image problems.

The total print count of my Laserjet is almost at 175000 pages and the only maintenance I gave it up until now was changing a pickup roller and replacing the sticky foam on the solenoids with isolation tape because of paper jams.

But unfortunately, everything I print now is starting to look faded. I already tried removing and shaking the toner, but this didn't make any difference. And since the (original HP) toner is still at 20%, I'm afraid I will have to search elsewhere for the cause of my problems.

When I print multiple pages at once the last pages seem more faded than the first. When I print a completely black page the page is especially faded on the whole left side, and a little on the right side. On the black page I also see horizontally faded bars every 4,5cm.

What part (or parts) could be the cause of these problems, and what would be the smartest thing to do now?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

If this is the original cartridge even at 20% likely the mag roller is worn and that results in uneven toner distribution. Unless you are using the printer in a really dirty environment that can darken the optics, chances are it is just your 15+ year old cartridge is finished.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

What do you mean exactly with cartridge? Because the toner was installed February last year and is not even a year old.

HP Recommended

Your post says the original toner, inferring that you were still using the toner cartridge that shipped with the machine. Apologies if I misunderstood that .  You also said that toner is at 20%.  Experience of over 25 years has shown that when you hit 20% life on the toner cartridge any prints after that may see a degrade in image quality. If you have refilled your toner cartridge all the more possibility that cartridge is bad. This printer has a one piece, non-refillable imaging cartridge that must be replaced. That us what I am referring to. 

To ensure no confusion: https://www.staples.ca/products/503701-en-hp-10a-q2610a-black-original-laserjet-toner-cartridge?vari...

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately English is not my native language. With original I meant it is a genuine HP toner instead of a no-brand generic toner.

And yes, what I call a toner is the same thing as the print cartridge in the provided link. And no, I never refilled any toner cartridge whatsoever. When I installed the Q2610A in February last year it was brand new.

When I print a supplies status page it tells me the Q2610A is at 20% and there are approximately 2300 pages remaining.

When prints get faded I take the toner cartridge out of the printer and give it a good shake. Normally this has a positive effect on the image quality. But now nothing seems to happen. Because of this and with approximately 2300 pages remaining I doubt the toner cartridge is the problem.

But you think the first thing I should try is replacing the toner cartridge? There are no other parts of the printer where I could take a look at or do a test with?

HP Recommended

If you post a sample of what your print quality is like I can take another look and provide an opinion, but based on your description the toner is the first thing I would try. Typically items like a fuser will cause a repetitive defect. The transfer roller or the high voltage can cause faded print but those are less likely and harder to diagnose than swapping out a cartridge.

HP Recommended

I could not upload pdf's here, so I uploaded them to docdroid.net.

The first is the supplies status page and the second is what should be a completely black page.

https://docdro.id/nfT6Ig1

https://docdro.id/BAHRqTC

The best is to download the pdf's from docdroid, because viewing them on docdroid seems to be bad for the quality. But I also think my scanner settings make the images look worse than they are in reality.

HP Recommended

Repairatrooper is right that you have a bad toner cartridge.

Q2610A has been discontinued for many years though you used it last year but it's been manufactured for years so it's not really new.

Toner cartridge is getting old from the beginning of its manufactured date not the day you use it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.