Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I have been having this issue for a while where my printer will intermittently work.  I have a color laser jet pro printer and a MacBook laptop.  My printer will work for a day or a few hours and then at random it will either display 1) looking for printer - until it cancels itself.  2) the laptop cue will say "connected to printer" and the printer screen will state "printing documents" but it never prints.  The screens say that for 20 minutes to 3 hours until it kicks itself off.

I have installed and uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and firmware.

I have reset my printer que several times. 

I have unplugged and restarted and even moved my printer several times.

Example. I am a teacher and I printed about 2 reams of paper yesterday without issue.  Today I have spent 6 hours trying all of the tricks and troubleshooting recommendations from the live chat and cannot print a single one of my documents.  The test pages and stuff print but none of my documents.

HELP!!

Sincerely,

Crying and stress eating 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@krstenwaugh, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To provide you with an accurate solution, I would need a few details:

• May I have the exact model name of the product? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc. 
  • How is the printer connected to your computer?
  • Is there any antivirus/security software installed on your computer?
  • If the printer is connected wirelessly, what is the make and model of your router?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
  • It is a Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M477fnw - Model # BOISB-1407-03
  • The Printer is wirelessly connected 
  • No, I have a Macbook so I did not get any antivirus software
  • The make and model of my router is ATT u-verse NVG599

Thank you for your time.

HP Recommended

@krstenwaugh

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates.

For more information, go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

Remove and add the printer

Click the Apple menu, and then select System Preferences.

Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

Click the name of your printer, click the Minus sign, and then delete the printer.

Select printer and click the minus sign

Click the Plus sign, and then click Add Printer or Scanner.

Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select  AirPrint.

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

Click Add to add the printer to the list.

Try to print.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! ​​​​​​​

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.