Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet CP3525 (CC470A)

I hope the question is clear and needs no further explanation. Yet here it is again with extensions: 

I want to remotely switch my HP Color LaserJet CP3525 (CC470A) printer off (and on) and need to know whether it could be harmful if mains is cut during printer standby.
There is operation mode (shut off would be detrimental in several ways, as I assume) and maybe there is a third mode "ready mode" just after operation before fall back to stand by. What about this mode? If existent, would it be harmful to cut mains then?

Thanks for any help or helpful comments.

GB

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

It isn't the ideal way to power off a printer, but is sometimes done to fix strange problems with printers. I wouldn't recommend that as a frequent method, but I think it shouldn't cause a problem, but that's not to say that it couldn't have unintended consequences if done at an inopportune time. As long as the printer is in Standby or Ready, it should be OK, still don't recommend it as a frequent thing. Using the power button is preferred as that allows the printer to shut down in an orderly fashion. 

HP Recommended

Thanks, ALS-77

This is about the state of knowledge that I have or had but lacked certainty. Since the printer has just a soft power on/off button and no hard switch I am not sure what it usually does immediately after a power off request.So let's hope someone with factual knowledge of the HP printers and printerware will read and care to comment because I really wish to not harm my printer but couldn't get HP support working on it since the device is no longer supported by them.

GB

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.