Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet 1536dnf MFP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since i have upgraded to Windows 10, my PC keeps losing communication with my scanner ("Problem communicating with device" message.).  My printer is installed as a network printer (not connected by USB cable).  I have followed all troubleshooting tips including hard reboots, disabling anti-virus and firewalls, stopping/starting WIA, etc. and the only thing that works is to remove the printer, uninstall all HP software, reboot and reinstall latest HP software.  This gets me back working but by the next day, communications have been lost. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @6741Bob

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the  "Printer offline" issue. 

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

1. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.

2. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.

3. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.

• If your printer in not in the list, turn it off and on, and then click Retry.

• If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.

4. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.

5. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

6. Try to print. If the printer remains offline, continue to the next step.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @6741Bob

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the  "Printer offline" issue. 

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

1. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.

2. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.

3. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.

• If your printer in not in the list, turn it off and on, and then click Retry.

• If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.

4. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.

5. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

6. Try to print. If the printer remains offline, continue to the next step.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Weirdly enough, that seems to have worked.  Using the HP Print and Scan Doctor to remove and then reinstall the software seemed no different than following the same process manually but here I am Day 2 and I still have scanner connectivity. I will update if I should lose connectivity at any point.  Thanks Jay_G24.

HP Recommended

@6741Bob

That's great! Happy to hear that. If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

HP Recommended

So I went back in to use the scanner again and it is back to not communicating, the same issue as before.  Any suggestions?  At present it looks like I have to remove and reinstall every time I want to use my scanner.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.