6 2 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

LASER JET PRO 401dw

Laser jet Pro 401 DW
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I have been told I need to replace the fuser in my Laser Jet Pro 401dw.

Where do I buy a fuser, how much is it,  and can I install it myself?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Grad Student
Grad Student
209 198 13 42
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

LASER JET PRO 401dw

You can get it from the HP Store or even eBay  However, if you have never taken apart a printer before, it is not a Level 1 Tech job. 

A skilled tech who takes them apart daily in my tech department (we rebuild many of them for a hot-swap depot program) said it takes him about 30 minutes to "do it right".  

I know HP may not like this, but the 401 is viewed by many as a "disposable" printer.  You use it for 150k or so pages and buy a new one.  Why?  Because, they were only about US $170 wholesale.  Retail varies.  (I don't know if you are in the USA or somehwere else)

The new 402N is only about US $200 retail.  So, doing the math: At least US $100 for a good fuser and roller set.  If you can't do it, then another $100 for a tech service call.  You are at US $200 and that is IF the tech is qualified and not just a guy who knows a little something about printers and fixed the neighbors computer for a few bucks.  Add on a dose of agrivation, and you are well over the US $200. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation