Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laser Jet M1217 nfw MFP
macOS 10.14 Mojave

My LaserJet printer is properly connected to my new MacBook Air (Mojave OS) and it can properly feed paper but can't print or copy, despite having a brand new ink cartridge.  I have worked with Apple Support, and they say the problem is with the printer, not the connection or the Mac.  Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

you can print an internal document from the printer control panel.  go into the menus and look for something like "administration" or "information".  look for a configuration page or supply status page, which once selected, should begin to print.  If the document is blank, theres certainly something going on w/ the toner cartridge or printer itself.  If the printer doesnt show a blank printout, issue would probably rest within how it was installed and/or how the computer & printer communicate.    When a new toner is purchased, you'll typically see a plastic tab sticking out the (left) side after taking it out of its packaging.  That tab is connected to a long film that covers the cartridge drum/developer.  you can get blank prints if that tab hasnt been extracted so def. check for that too.  good luck!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

does it still print blank even when printing an internal document? like a configuration or supplies status page.  check to make sure the plastic tab in the toner cartridge is removed.  if not, you can get blank documents or prints w/ defects.  do you have the old cartrdige still?  swap them out and see if anything changes.  if no change, the problem could be a motor thats not spinning the toner cartridge or possibly even the laser/scanner assembly itself

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response!  I was just frustrated, and appreciate your much more organized, sensible approach!  You're so logical!

I don't know how to print an internal document... how should I do that?

I don't see any plastic tabs that would inhibit the toner cartridge.  Unfortunately I recycled the old cartridge at the Staples store.

I have tried inserting and removing the toner cartridge and that didn't help.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

you can print an internal document from the printer control panel.  go into the menus and look for something like "administration" or "information".  look for a configuration page or supply status page, which once selected, should begin to print.  If the document is blank, theres certainly something going on w/ the toner cartridge or printer itself.  If the printer doesnt show a blank printout, issue would probably rest within how it was installed and/or how the computer & printer communicate.    When a new toner is purchased, you'll typically see a plastic tab sticking out the (left) side after taking it out of its packaging.  That tab is connected to a long film that covers the cartridge drum/developer.  you can get blank prints if that tab hasnt been extracted so def. check for that too.  good luck!

HP Recommended

You were right!  Having tried everything else, I returned the cartridge to Staples.  The new one works just great.  Thanks so much for your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.