Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
m402
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Getting an error message. "Jam in Cartridge Area open door and clear jam."  that WILL NOT clear.  no paper is jammed

printing med cardstock form tray 1

I looked in the forum and saw some "blue lever fixes it"  1. where exactly is this blue lever and what does it look like because the one I saw did nothing to fix the situation.

2. I changed the paper type to plain form med cardstock to plain

3. rebooted printer

The printer is new... about 10 sheets before this started.   I didn't see any packing material  -- WHERE EXACTLY should I look?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

this is usually caused by a blocked or defective sensor.  There could be a torn piece of paper in the paper path which is stopping a sensor from working.  Look very closely for any torn paper or a blocked sensor.  if you have some canned air, give it a couple hits in the paper path.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

this is usually caused by a blocked or defective sensor.  There could be a torn piece of paper in the paper path which is stopping a sensor from working.  Look very closely for any torn paper or a blocked sensor.  if you have some canned air, give it a couple hits in the paper path.  

HP Recommended

I had this error in my M402dn. Opened the front and checked the cartridge area and paper tray area. No jam. Searched for solutions online and read about resetting the printer. Tried every method to reset the printer without success. Removed, inspected, cleaned, and reinserted the cartridge. Nothing. Resorted to compressed air and vacuuming the cartridge area presuming dust was triggering a sensor, but to no avail. Ultimately checked the back of the printer and found a door to open. Voila, there was the jam, in the back-not in the cartridge area and not visible by any means from the front. The error message as to the location of the jam was misleading. Hope this can shave an hour off of your diagnostics.

HP Recommended

@TennesseeTuxedo, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Thank you for the feedback and I'm glad the issue is now resolved and the printer is working fine.

The different ways to check for and remove any jammed paper is mentioned in the HP documents. Click here to view the same. Removing the jam from the output bin resolved the issue for you.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for the solution. I can't believe it was so easy. I don't think I even realized that that rear door existed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.