Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M177FW

Apparently several people are having this issue. When I turn on the printer it tries to initialize and then comes up with the error "Jam in output bin - Open rear door and clear jam". I am pretty sure there is no paper stuck anywhere, but I haven't taken the printer apart more than what should be necessary to clear jams. What I don't understand is: why would I open the rear door to clear a jam in the output bin? Also, the toner carrousel is not rotating, but maybe that is due to the error?

I've seen a bunch of posts talking about this - PM to reset the printer and something about sensors malfunctioning and having to be repositioned.

Unfortunately I do not know where those sensors would be or how to reposition them.

What I have tried:

* Removed power and held down the power button for 30 seconds and then waited for 1 minute before turning the printer back on.

* Reset the printer to factory defaults through the Service menu.

* Currently have all the toners removed.

* Updated firmware to latest available version (HP_M177_FW_Update_20180208.exe).

Any ideas?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@ghiros

Welcome to the HP Support Community

Appreciate all your efforts, 

If you have tried all the steps in this document: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-color-laserjet-pro-mfp-m177-series/5303438/model/5303443/doc...

And if the issue persists, I would personally suggest you contact our HP Support for one on one interaction. 

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp

Step 2. Sign in / sign in as a guest

Step 3. Enter the product number or select to auto detect

Step 4. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 5. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

Keep me posted on further assistance. Hope that helps! 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Thank you, Raj1788, but I cannot find a "Still need help..." on the product page after follwing steps 1-3. This is the product page for my printer:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-color-laserjet-pro-mfp-m177-series/5303438/model/5303443

HP Recommended

@ghiros

I have sent you a private message, to contact HP Phone support I need few details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hello Raj1788,

All you did in the PM was give me the support phone number, which is publicly availabe.

There I spent 35 mins on hold and then 15 more minutes with a rep, who told me that the printer needs to be replaced.

To be quite honest, I am very disappointed - you could have told me that right away, without making me waste days and then almost an hour on the phone.

HP Recommended

@ghiros

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Ok, I haven't received another PM yet, but I'll wait for them to contact me. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Same issue here.

Anyone get this resolved and can share what to do?

HP Recommended

@Lam23

Thank you for joining the HP Community

Could you please help me with the exact model name or the product number of the printer?

Where do you see the error message? (printer or computer)

Is the copy working fine?

Keep me posted.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi Raj1788

The printer is HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M177fw, the same one referred by the opening post.

It comes up with the error "Jam in output bin - Open rear door and clear jam" on the screen of the printer (not computer), but there is no paper stuck anywhere.

I use the M177fw mostly as a printer only, but the copy appears to be working fine

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.