Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet P1102w
Android 9 Pie

I get a "printer isn't available right now" error message when trying to print from android phone.

I rebooted the rooter and shut down and turned on the printer multiple times 

The self test printout says status = not connected

Also 

802.11b/g/n wireless :

Status = disabled  

Network Name (ssid) = unknown

Any help  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I checked a similar thread and confirmed your printer model does not support Wireless Direct:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-Connected-Mobile-Printing-and-Cloud-Printing/Turning-on-Wifi-Direct...

That means we need to connect your printer to your home router.  Once your printer is connected to the home router you can connect your android to the same home router/wifi network as everything else.  Then the android will be able to see the printer.  Unfortunetly your printer model does not have a control panel that allows you to complete the WiFi connection on its own.  You must temporarily install the printer over USB and then convert the printer into a WiFi printer after.

See the following document from HP:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02847467

Follow the wizard to install the printer over USB.  The wizard will walk you through the options to install the printer and then convert it to WiFi.  The PC that you are attempting to install over USB must be within range and able to connect to the same WiFi network as teh printer.  Otherwise the wizard will not be able to see the SSID and complete the conversion.  You cannot get this printer onto the network without first completing the USB connection first.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Uninstall and reinstall your printer on your Android device.  This will repair the connection to your network printer.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

Hello  thanks for the quick reply.

I have uninstalled it. But can't seem to reinstall it. 

It does not detect it on the WiFi and I can't find the up Adress of the printer. 

In the self test printout, in the network information section  it says status = not connected  

So it's not connected to the network, I suppose that's why my phone does not detect it.

@John_Getzke wrote:

Uninstall and reinstall your printer on your Android device.  This will repair the connection to your network printer.

@John_Getzke wrote:

@John_Getzke wrote:

HP Recommended

The IP Address of the printer can be found on the configuration report which is printed from the control panel of the printer.

Your Android must be conencted to the same network as the printer in order to see it and complete the installation.

Wireless connections to printers can be completed in two ways:

1. Wireless Direct connections where your phone connects directly to the printers mobile hotspot/SSID feature.

2. Normal WiFi through a home router.  The printer connects to the home router, the phone connects to the home router, the home router allows the two devices to talk to each other.

One way or another you need to get your android device on teh same network as teh printer.  Then run the installation again to finish the configuration.

HP Recommended

See this document from HP on printing the Configuration page from teh control panel:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02007076

HP Recommended

The printer isn't connected. When I turn it on the connectivity (blue) light flashes, which I understand means it is trying to connect.

But after about one minute of flashing it stops. And the self tests says Status = not connected

When looking for printers on the WiFi  it does no appear (isn't detected)

The self test report puts all ip addresses as 0.0.0.0

(probably because not connected). 

I moved the printer closer to the router, I don't have a VPN or a firewall. 

@John_Getzke wrote:

The IP Address of the printer can be found on the configuration report which is printed from the control panel of the printer.

Your Android must be conencted to the same network as the printer in order to see it and complete the installation.

Wireless connections to printers can be completed in two ways:

1. Wireless Direct connections where your phone connects directly to the printers mobile hotspot/SSID feature.

2. Normal WiFi through a home router.  The printer connects to the home router, the phone connects to the home router, the home router allows the two devices to talk to each other.

One way or another you need to get your android device on teh same network as teh printer.  Then run the installation again to finish the configuration.

HP Recommended

I checked a similar thread and confirmed your printer model does not support Wireless Direct:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-Connected-Mobile-Printing-and-Cloud-Printing/Turning-on-Wifi-Direct...

That means we need to connect your printer to your home router.  Once your printer is connected to the home router you can connect your android to the same home router/wifi network as everything else.  Then the android will be able to see the printer.  Unfortunetly your printer model does not have a control panel that allows you to complete the WiFi connection on its own.  You must temporarily install the printer over USB and then convert the printer into a WiFi printer after.

See the following document from HP:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02847467

Follow the wizard to install the printer over USB.  The wizard will walk you through the options to install the printer and then convert it to WiFi.  The PC that you are attempting to install over USB must be within range and able to connect to the same WiFi network as teh printer.  Otherwise the wizard will not be able to see the SSID and complete the conversion.  You cannot get this printer onto the network without first completing the USB connection first.

HP Recommended

Thank you, I reinstalled the printer and connected it to the WiFi router.

It hasn't been easy because I have lost the cd and the driver I downloaded on my windows 10 computer didn't work. 

Thankfully I had an old VISTA printer on which I could run the installation program I had found online.

Adding that I also needed to reboot the connection (by holding the WiFi and cancel buttons simultaneously). 

Now I just don't know why the printer disconnected in the first place and I'm hoping it won't do it again. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.