Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro M402dw
macOS 10.14 Mojave

My LaserJet Pro M402dw prints image crooked on paper. I have checked the tray and the way the paper sits in it and it's fine. I have updated the driver and firmware. I have installed a new toner cartridge. Nothing works. Please help! Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Had any recent paper jams? Issue commonly caused by obstruction in paper path such as bit of paper left from jam.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi Repairatrooper. Thanks for your reply. I have not had any real paper jams that I am aware of (I'm the only one using this printer). I also have looked inside and don't see any paper left from any jam if there was one. I've tried printing from tray 2 which holds the stack of paper as well as from tray 1 which is the drop down door on an angle where you can insert paper as well. Both print crooked. I will say that I use  non-HP toner cartridges from Supplies Outlet. When I insert the cartridge, it goes in smooth. When I close the door and it initializes and is ready to print, I do a test and open the door to remove the cartridge to see if it pulls out smoothly and it hangs up on the right side. So I have to fiddle with it in order to remove the cartridge. I know this because the previous cartridge had the same issue. I thought maybe it was just the previous cartridge but it is also this current cartridge. Not sure if it is an issue with after market cartridges? Hate to spend $200.00+ on toner cartridges when you can buy them for 20-30 dollars. I know you pay for what you get but that seems a bit excessive. Any thoughts?

HP Recommended

Typically the reason that they hang on the right side when not OEM is because they cannot use the patented drive mechanism on the cartridge and have to come up with something that is not the same but works the same. This often causes less than optimal performance. It is possible that the cartridge is not seating properly and causing drag on the paper. The only other thing than could be an issue is the registration assembly being damaged. That is the set of rollers that the paper goes through just before it arrives at the drum unit of the cartridge.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you! Your knowledge is very much appreciated. Do you think it's possible that if I installed an HP cartridge it would change things and print straight as long as the registration assembly is not damaged?  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.