Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro P1606dn
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I wrote to this forum about a week ago, and ShlomiL gave me a solution that worked for one document but then stopped working.

ShlomiL, or anyone else, can you tell me how to fix this?

My software is all up to date.

Thanks,

Susan 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It appears you may have a hardware issue. Only suggestion I can give is to attempt a factory reset of the printer and if that does not solve the issue the cost to repair the printer will probably be more than it is worth. Below are the instructions for the reset. The blinking ready light means the printer is receiving data and if you in fact do  not have the network or usb cable connected and it still blinks, then that is a hardware issue.

Service mode functions
Product resets
To restore the product to the factory-default settings, follow these steps.
1. Turn the product off.
2. Turn the product on, and while it is initializing press and hold both control-panel buttons at the same
time until all lights blink in unison.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Not a MAC person but it is possible the printer's ip address has changed or is no longer working. Use the link below to print a config page from the printer's control panel. The config page should show you the ip address of the printer. Using that same link use the instructions to type in the ip address into your web browser to make sure the printer's web page comes up. If it does, then you need to reconfigure the printer possibly by giving the driver on the MAC the actual ip address of the printer. This assumes the printer is connected to the network.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02005918

HP Recommended

Hi Davidzuts,

Thanks for your response.

I'd like to print a configuration page, but I'm unable to. The printer keeps turning off. When I turn it back on, the Ready Light just keeps blinking, and I can't print.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Susan

HP Recommended

That may be your problem.  Turn the printer off and then disconnect all cables except the power cable. Now turn the printer back on and see if it comes to ready.  If it does, then print the config page.  Also go into the printq of the MAC and remove any and all jobs that are still pending. Now turn off the printer again, connect I assume the network cable and try again. If you are using USB then the issue could be the bad print job so clear the printq on the MAC and see if you can now print. The blinking ready light usually means the printer is receiving data and it would appear the data is corrupt causing the printer to reboot.

HP Recommended

Hi Davidzuts,

My printer was already off. I disconnected the cable from my modem/router and then turned the printer back on. I waited a few minutes, and the Ready Light is still blinking. There is nothing in the printq. How weird that the Ready Light is blinking with absolutely no data going to the printer.

Next step?

Thanks,

Susan

HP Recommended

It appears you may have a hardware issue. Only suggestion I can give is to attempt a factory reset of the printer and if that does not solve the issue the cost to repair the printer will probably be more than it is worth. Below are the instructions for the reset. The blinking ready light means the printer is receiving data and if you in fact do  not have the network or usb cable connected and it still blinks, then that is a hardware issue.

Service mode functions
Product resets
To restore the product to the factory-default settings, follow these steps.
1. Turn the product off.
2. Turn the product on, and while it is initializing press and hold both control-panel buttons at the same
time until all lights blink in unison.

HP Recommended

Hi Davidzuts,

It appears my printer in toast.

I turned it on and held down the two buttons for a long time, and the Ready Light kept blinking, but no other lights turned on.

Thank you for helping me!

Best,

Susan

HP Recommended

Sorry to hear this.  One more thing if you are handy is to download the service manual. Just do a google search for the manual. Go to the instructions for the removal of the formatter and just disconnect the two connectors and reconnect them and then turn on the printer to see if there is a difference. If no difference then actually remove the formatter from the printer, place in a baking pan with the chips facing up and the bottom of the board propped up so it does not touch the bottom of the pan. Now preheat a good oven to 350F (177C) and when the oven is ready, place the pan with the board in the oven for exactly 8 minutes. Remove the pan and let the board cool for 10 minutes, place back in the printer and connect the connectors and if you are lucky it will work and if not then you are back where we started. Nothing to lose except a bit of time. Good Luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.