Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet 4345MFP

I need to install a new hard drive in this unit. How do I initialize it so the printer will reconize it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hard-disk initialization
A hard-disk initialization erases and reformats the hard disk. Perform a hard-disk initialization only if
an error message on the control-panel indicates a disk error. Always try initializing the hard disk
before replacing it.
NOTE Before performing a hard-disk initialization, print a menu map and a configuration
page. See Information pages. Use the information on these pages to reset any customerspecific
settings.
CAUTION A hard-disk initialization deletes the following information: all stored copy jobs, the
local address book (e-mail addresses), the speed-dial list (fax numbers), and the Java™
applet files.
To perform a hard-disk initialization
1 Turn the MFP off and then on.
2 When the memory count appears on the control-panel display, press the right-hand side of the
START button until all three LEDs are lit. Release the START button.
3 Press 5 one time. INITIALIZE DISK appears on the control-panel display.
4 Press 6 one time. A series of asterisks appears on the control-panel display. Wait for the MFP to
complete its initialization sequence.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hard-disk initialization
A hard-disk initialization erases and reformats the hard disk. Perform a hard-disk initialization only if
an error message on the control-panel indicates a disk error. Always try initializing the hard disk
before replacing it.
NOTE Before performing a hard-disk initialization, print a menu map and a configuration
page. See Information pages. Use the information on these pages to reset any customerspecific
settings.
CAUTION A hard-disk initialization deletes the following information: all stored copy jobs, the
local address book (e-mail addresses), the speed-dial list (fax numbers), and the Java™
applet files.
To perform a hard-disk initialization
1 Turn the MFP off and then on.
2 When the memory count appears on the control-panel display, press the right-hand side of the
START button until all three LEDs are lit. Release the START button.
3 Press 5 one time. INITIALIZE DISK appears on the control-panel display.
4 Press 6 one time. A series of asterisks appears on the control-panel display. Wait for the MFP to
complete its initialization sequence.

HP Recommended

I purchased the unit at an Auction and the previous owner removed the hard drive. I ordered a new one but wasn't sure how to set it up. When the part comes in, I will follow your instructions and repost. Thanks for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.