Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
hp color LaserJet 5550
Linux

I've been getting quite proununced streaks perpendicular to the direction of the print.  I see matching streaks on the cartridge drums, the ETB, and some collection of loose toner inside the printer.

I tried cleaning the OHT sensor, the static discharge comb, and the ETB (with alcohol), which didn't change anything.  No warnings on the display or web interface.  Page count is a mere 3567.  11 total errors logged (4 paper jams, the rest "printer error").

Is this indicative of bad cartridges (they are HP genuine)?, bad ETB?  Bad fuser?  All?   The cartridges still report 17% life, ITK = 97%, Fuser = 98% life. 

test page with print quality problems multicolor streaks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yeah, I didn't want to risk a full OEM price if the fuser etc. needed service, so I bought remanufactured cartridges from LCL, $299.59 and all is well.  The ancient monolith continues operating well.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

If the lines are on the front side ( printed) of paper then those might be toner defects.

You have an option in printer diagnostic menu to disable cartridge check. When you disable cartridge check you can remove toner ( or all toners ) and the printer will print without missing cartridge. You can also swap positions of 2 toners and printer will print, of course with mixed colours.

You can remove black ( or any other )  toner and print some pages from printers internal reports ( menu -> information -> print configuration ) to see what will happen ( print 10 pages) and you can test your printer by inserting and removing toners so you can determine which one ( or more) toner is defective.

When you get your print without defects the toner that is outside of printer is defective.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thanks, I think that's a good bet, but the issue that confounds me a bit is that it is all cartridges - that is 4 toner colors are mixed in the stripe.  I posted a picture but it seems to have been removed, perhaps because the serial number is visible in the demo page.  Here's a more generic page showing the stripes.

screenshotSelection_025.png

The vertical magenta stripes are an artifact of my scanner.  The very strong mutli-color stripe along the bottom (below A) is the most obvious defect, there is a less clear one at the top above the F stripe. These appear on all pages.  Cleaning the transfer belt and fuser doesn't help.

These are the original caretridges that came with the printer many, many years ago.  They worked fine for about 2,500 pages or so, they've been striping for the last 1000 or so.  They are quite old - but the duty cycle is trivial (maybe 250 pages a year).  The fact that all cartridges are acting up made me wonder if something that interacts with all colors might be at fault - the transfer belt or the fuser, but cleaning them didn't help (a mechanical or electrical defect wouldn't be cured by cleaning; they might still be at fault).

Both appear intact and fine and are certainly well below their use limits of ~120,000 pages each.

Normally, I'd be fine with buying spare parts, but OEM cartridges alone cost more than a new CP5225dn and replacing all of the suspect consumables would cost quite a bit more than that.

HP Recommended

Load sheet of paper in tray1.

Send one colour page to be printed. When printer starts to print paper from tray 1 will go into a printer. When you see that the bottom edge of the paper has entered the printer open top cover, a printer will stop immediately.

Open the front door and on the transfer belt, you will see your paper. Examine the green drum on each toner do they have those lines on them that are transferred on the printed side of the paper.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Took a bit of time to get the image (travel) but attached.  Yes, each green drum has a stripe.  It is also on the transfer belt.

HP5500_print_problems_drums.jpg

HP Recommended

I am having a similar issue. Did you get this resolved?

HP Recommended

Yeah, I didn't want to risk a full OEM price if the fuser etc. needed service, so I bought remanufactured cartridges from LCL, $299.59 and all is well.  The ancient monolith continues operating well.

HP Recommended

We have seen this issue with non-HP TONERS when one of the labels on the shutter is not glued properly and sticks out just enough to scrape toner off the belt and redeposit it. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

The fault was with the OEM cartridges.  The non-OEM cartridges work perfectly.  YMMV

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.