Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro 500 570dn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Seems our color laserjet 570dn driver conflicts with a recent Windows 10 patch(es), and the driver comes in, after a clean install from the website, with the finishing tab in printer preferences, with the manual duplex box pre-checked. If we set this printer as the default printer, and un-check the manual duplex box, this setting holds and we get automatic duplex printing. HOWEVER, if we set another (local) laserjet as the default printer, then this 570dn color laserjet preference DOES NOT hold. Now, each time we switch to color printing, we need to remember to un-check the manual duplex box, on the 4th or 5th tab over for finishing in printer preferences before we print...this amounts to a productivity killer, toner and paper waster...Does anyone have a work around for this recent driver issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Are you changing the setting in preferences or as defaults. It will make a difference in how it reacts.

On your pc, go to control panel>devices and printers and the right click the icon for your printer, select printer properties, middle of the drop down menu. Click on the advance tab and the printer defaults at the bottom. Changing it here should make it hold. It may also depend on the driver you are using. If you are using Microsoft Class drivers they will not be as reliable as using the HP Universal Print Drivers.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Are you changing the setting in preferences or as defaults. It will make a difference in how it reacts.

On your pc, go to control panel>devices and printers and the right click the icon for your printer, select printer properties, middle of the drop down menu. Click on the advance tab and the printer defaults at the bottom. Changing it here should make it hold. It may also depend on the driver you are using. If you are using Microsoft Class drivers they will not be as reliable as using the HP Universal Print Drivers.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Repairatrooper, you deserve at least 2 gold stars on your forehead, as your 3am posting appears to work and just saved hours of aggravation. We are using only HP drivers, not MS's.

Steps used are more or less as you describe:

1. scrolled Printers & Scanners to find the non-default 570dn LaserJet printer,
  2. opened not the print preferences option but printer properties, and found the advanced tab,
  3. under advanced, used a gray button on the bottom of the box to set print preferences, i.e., 2-sided, flip over, color, all from the advanced tab, hit apply.
  4. and, just to be sure these latest preferences were holding, ran several test print jobs, allowing the default local printer to show, then drawing down to the desired color printer. 

NOT ONLY did these recent preferences hold, these held for repeat printing, AND, that annoying, single-sided manual duplex check box is no where to be found. Truly amazing. Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.