Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet Enterprise M506
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Our (newly bought, <1 month) Laserjet now only prints the following:

ERROR: undefinedresult

OFFENDING COMMAND: xshow

OS is OSX 10.13 High Sierra. Printer is connected via USB.

We tried:

-printing with different programs (Word worked at first, but as of today it doesn't anymore, same error)

-removing and readding the printer

-factory resetting the printer

The problem started after the printer (crashed?) needed a restart and got gradually worse with time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I am not a MAC person but I would disconnect the printer from the computer and turn the printer off and then back on. Before reconnecting the printer to the MAC I would remove it from your printers list, turn of the MAC off and then turn the MAC back on and then reconnect the printer. It should find it but if it does not use the add printer and search should find it and load the drivers and see if it works. If still an issue you may need to have a friend with a windows based machine to connect to the printer and see if works with the windows machine. If it does then you need to get MAC support as something is happening with your computer. If it does not work with the windows machine, I would contact HP as they may need to replace or give you instructions on how to replace parts they send you.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

If you go to the administration menu on the printer and then reports and try to print a configuration page, does it print ok or the same error. You could try a usb firmware update of the printer using the instructions in the document below. I would do it using the preboot menu method which will include formating the solid state drive.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03847902

HP Recommended

Configuration page prints ok.

Firmware update went without a problem.

But now the printer either "spools up" for a moment but doesn't do anything (first try) or

shows a 49.00.FF error on the display (second try) when we try to print.

HP Recommended

I am not a MAC person but I would disconnect the printer from the computer and turn the printer off and then back on. Before reconnecting the printer to the MAC I would remove it from your printers list, turn of the MAC off and then turn the MAC back on and then reconnect the printer. It should find it but if it does not use the add printer and search should find it and load the drivers and see if it works. If still an issue you may need to have a friend with a windows based machine to connect to the printer and see if works with the windows machine. If it does then you need to get MAC support as something is happening with your computer. If it does not work with the windows machine, I would contact HP as they may need to replace or give you instructions on how to replace parts they send you.

HP Recommended

The printer works with a windows machine.

After that, it also started working again with non-apple programs on the MAC, so it's probably apples (high sierras?) fault?

Printing to other printers works fine, so no clue honestly. We're going to avoid using apple-programs for now (and maybe ask MAC support, but word / Firefox works, so it's low priority).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.