Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M553N
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I'm posting on behalf of my sister. She purchased an M553N colour laserjet a few months back but it's never quite worked right since she had it. 

The main problem being is that she prints a lot of labels and it's proving incredibly difficult to get the text to fit the template properly. The first couple of rows are fine, but as they go down the page they end up shifted by about 1mm down the page. She's tried different trays, ensured the scale is at Actual or 100% but with no luck. Also tried to print on just paper and it does it on every document, also from different software i.e. Word or PDF etc. 

Going back to her rather ageing CM4550, this prints them absolutely fine but would prefer to use the new printer as it's much more compact and the older printer needs servicing. 

Tried calling HP support to be asked quite frankly stupid questions such as 'Is the printer turned on?' and 'Have you used a printer before'.

Please can anyone shed any light?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

If the problem only appears when printing labels then it is likely a document sizing issue.  Id bet you are using a custom template for your labels that does not match up the parameters on the new laserjet.

Go to the label manufactures website and see if they offer a digital download of a template for your labels.  Use that template in your tests.  See if that resolves the problem.

Another possibility could be a driver conflict.  A document may print one way with a certain driver and another with a different print driver.  Whatever your old printer was using for a driver appears to have been compatible with the Label template.  The new driver for your M553n may not be.  You could experiment with alternative printer drivers such as the Universal Print Drivers from HP.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

John is correct, it really sounds like the sizing of the labels is wrong, even a few mm of difference on each label will eventually result in a major shift in placement. There will also be differences how labels are printed going between PCL5 and PCL6 drivers or Post Script drivers and resolution settings will also cause shift of image.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi both, thanks for your reply. 

I will try different drivers for the printer and see if that makes any difference. 

It doesn't matter if we're printing labels or just a standard word document or PDF from the internet, the printer 'appears' to be overscaling the document went printing. It can't be an issue with the labels as they print fine with the exact same document on the older printer.

Will see how different drivers go and report back. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.