Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet MFP M28w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have installed my Laserjet MFP M28w in my home network through a wifi router. The printer and the notebook (a Lenovo with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit) are both in the same net (range extender bypassed).

The installation ended with a normal 'ok' message... but the notebook did not communicate with the printer. Any print trial did not succeed. Apparently a port error and finally an unknown error.

I used the HP Print & Scan Doctor and it identified a port misconfiguration. I let it fix it, and in the end I was able to print a trial page from P&S Doctor.

Then the VERY odd behaviour: pdf files are printed normally while Word and Excel files are not printed... the signal simply seems not to go to the printer. The print que is empty after sending the print command.

I am really puzzled. I reinstalled the printer 5 or 6 times, starting from either the driver (.exe file d'loaded from the HP website) or from the 'Add a new printer' command in the computer Device window.

Please help me fix it or I'll have to return the printer back to the seller.

--Carlo

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@carlopip, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To assist you better, I'd like to know the following-

Have you tried printing from the internet or a notepad? If no, try now.

Have you checked for any updates available for the MS Office applications?

While printing from the MS Office applications, ensure the right printer is selected.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

actually I can print from Notepad and from the internet browser, both via usb and via wifi!

I checked for Windows/Office updates. There were a few in standby. I d'loaded and installed the updates (one was 'HP something...' but the result remains the same. No print from any Office software.

And yes, I always check for the correct printer whenever I print from whatever software.

When I try to print from Office the printer queue dialog box is empty, like if no signal went from the pc to the printer.

I start thinking that it's a Windows 7 compatibility issue, since I printed easily (via usb at least) with a Windows 10 HP notebook.

Too bad my main pc is a Lenovo notebook with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

HP Recommended

@carlopip

Thanks for replying!

In this case, you can reach out to Microsoft Support for assistance. Making any changes to the printer driver will not help as it is already working fine with other applications.

Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I wrote to the Microsoft Office support forum but they never replied.

I tried everything that was suggested either by you or by the HP and seller's phone support to no avail.

In the end I returned the printer to the seller, to my high regret. I would have liked to keep the printer, but I had to order a new printer from a different manufacturer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.