Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet P1102w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The last couple of months, my printer has been acting very sluggish. It used to print multiple copies of one-page documents very fast; now it treats each copy as a separate print job and takes several seconds to send one page out (instead of sending them out repeatedly, one after the other). Also, I find that the printer will simply fail to respond often, forcing me to go into Windows Printer controls and delete the print job. Sometimes even that doesn't work, and I simply have to shut down the printer and then restart it.

I've only had this printer 4-5 years, and for HPs that means there should be a lot of life left. Is there a windows update that deals with this? I have already downloaded new drivers, but I remember the installation and configuring of this printer was such a hassle I'd hate to have to start all over again--so I'm hoping there is something else other than installing new drivers.

HP LaserJet p1102w
HP 15-ef2126wm
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@paulri

Please try the following steps to uninstall the printer driver from root level and download the full feature software

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and download the Full Feature Software from Here and follow the onscreen Instructions

Keep me posted 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

bump.

HP LaserJet p1102w
HP 15-ef2126wm
HP Recommended

@paulri

This seems to be a driver issue. Do you experience the same sluggishness when making Photocopies?

I suggest you download and run the HP Print And Scan Doctor from this Link: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

Run PSDR v5.0.2 

Once the PSDR detects the Printer, it will show up the IP address and Software Status. 

Select the correct Printer and click on Next. 

PSDR will check if the Printer is on the Network and communication between the PC and the Printer. Once the connection check is done, click on Fix Printing 

Once PSDR goes through all checks and automatic fixes, click on Print a test page. 

Regardless if PSDR printed the test page or not, click on “NO PRINT” 

PSDR will then notify you that there is an update available, click on continue, and PSDR will apply the patch and ask for a reboot. 

Post restart the PSDR will run automatically to check for more issue.  If no issue found close PSDR. 

Keep me posted how it goes 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ran the print & scan dr utility. First time through, it gave me a clean bill of health, no problems. I printed a test page, but it gave me no updates (even though I clicked on No Print). I ran it again, and this time it detected a non-HP cartridge (I run aftermarket cartridges), and hitting the Retry button still gave me that error. No other "problems" were detected.

HP LaserJet p1102w
HP 15-ef2126wm
HP Recommended

Oh there is no scanning/copying function--this is just a monochrome laser printer.

HP LaserJet p1102w
HP 15-ef2126wm
HP Recommended

@paulri

Please try the following steps to uninstall the printer driver from root level and download the full feature software

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and download the Full Feature Software from Here and follow the onscreen Instructions

Keep me posted 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I went ahead and followed all your directions. It has been reinstalled. Ran a test page and it printed quickly enough. I will run this for a few days before accepting as the solution. I was hoping to avoid a driver reinstall, but for whatever reason today's driver install just wasn't all that bad. Maybe it was the troubleshooting before I realized that even a wireless printer needs to be connected with a cable during the install, I don't know. Anyways like I said I'll run with this for a few days and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help.

You know, HP printers are something else. My last one (a 1018) was running just fine at 7 years, and I sold it pre-emptively just because I wanted to get something for it, before it conked out on me. This one 5 1/2 years old, I just checked. Still has plenty of life left in it. Browser interface for it said it has printed just over 70,000 pages. 🙂

HP LaserJet p1102w
HP 15-ef2126wm
HP Recommended

@paulri

Thanks for replying!

Sure, let us know how it goes.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. Yes, it must have been the driver (corrupt?), because ever since then, the pages have been spitting out of the laser printer like there's no tomorrow. Occasionally I print right before I need a bunch of copies for a class that I teach--which is of course one of the reasons why I bought a laser to begin with--and it prints up multiple copies just fine now.

HP LaserJet p1102w
HP 15-ef2126wm
HP Recommended

@paulri

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out 

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.