Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet P1606dn
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

My laserjet P1606dn stopped printing via USB when I upgraded to El Capitan.  I tried re-installing mac drivers as per previous thread but still the drivers did not show up when I tried to add it.  It seems to not be recognizing the printer is connected.  

In addition,the printer is also being seen as a hard disk and not a printer it gives me the error "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." It sees it as an HP Smart Install Media, so no print drivers pop up when I choose to add this printer.  

I unfortunately don't have access to Window nor the HP CD installation disk to disable the Smart Install feature on this printer.  So any other suggestions?  

Many thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I afraid you will must get a Windows PC to disable HP Smart install, else it will not be detected by your Mac.

I suggest getting a Windows PC laptop from a neighboor, friend, fmily, etc. and connect the printer, then confirm any prompt to install the printer by HP Smart Install.

Once you are done run the folowing utility to disable HP Smart Install for the printer, then unplug the cable and reconnect it to your Mac:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL53550/lj-129224-1/LJP1100_P1560_P1600_SI_Utility.exe

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

I afraid you will must get a Windows PC to disable HP Smart install, else it will not be detected by your Mac.

I suggest getting a Windows PC laptop from a neighboor, friend, fmily, etc. and connect the printer, then confirm any prompt to install the printer by HP Smart Install.

Once you are done run the folowing utility to disable HP Smart Install for the printer, then unplug the cable and reconnect it to your Mac:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL53550/lj-129224-1/LJP1100_P1560_P1600_SI_Utility.exe

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Perfect fix!  Downloaded file you provided and launched it with ease on Windows 7 PC.  This allowed me to disable smart install on P1606dn printer. Once disabled, I reconnected to my mac and now the printer works on Mac OS El Capitan again.  Didn't even have to install driver for it. Printer option appeared and printed.

Many thanks!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.