Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet MFP m476dn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The printer is about 16 months old and still on its original toner cartridges.  I primarily bought this printer for its double-sided scanning--I use it a LOT.  Not so much for printing.  I have about 1200 B&W pages and 750 color pages so far.  I started getting "critical low" messages for my black cartridge at around 600 pages and my printer claims about 10% left on my color cartridges at 750 pages, so expecting those warnings shortly.

I've been ignoring the warnings as the printer is printing just fine on B&W for 600+ pages now.  My concern is the cartridges are supposed to be good for 2700 pages!!  Yes, "your milage may vary", but this seems a bit extreme.  Is there something about either the original cartridges or the relative low usage that means this is what I should expect or am I doing something wrong to get such low cartridge life?

I got a spare B&W cartridge (the extended version) and am about to get a spare set of color ones, but would like to know if I have a bigger issue or not before spending $300 for the set.

Thanks in advance.

will

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

A couple of points:

• As regards the "your milage may vary" comment:  toner yield figures from (most? all?) manufacturers are based on specific ISO tests; the simpler tests (I think) assume an average coverage of just 5% of each page with toner.
  • As regards "original cartridges": the data sheet seems to indicate that lower-capacity starter cartridges are supplied with the device:

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

A couple of points:

• As regards the "your milage may vary" comment:  toner yield figures from (most? all?) manufacturers are based on specific ISO tests; the simpler tests (I think) assume an average coverage of just 5% of each page with toner.
  • As regards "original cartridges": the data sheet seems to indicate that lower-capacity starter cartridges are supplied with the device:

Capture.PNG

HP Recommended

Dansdaduk:

Ah!  I did miss that in the fine print.  Fully understand on "reference pages" for toner life.  You have to have a standard.  If the expected life is 1200 pages then looks like even though I got the warnings way too early, I am getting roughly the expected life of the cartridges.  Gives me confidence that all is OK and fine to order the next batch of cartridges.

Thanks for pointing that out.

will

HP Recommended

@beals5 "... Fully understand on "reference pages" for toner life.  You have to have a standard ..."

Unfortunately, not everyone thinks like that, and they get annoyed that they don't get the 'expected page yield' when they print lots of full colour / full bleed images.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.