Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet P1102w
Linux

Just installed Kubuntu 18.x on my laptop. FWIW I'm dual booting with Windows 10, printer is working fine. There is a basic CUPS driver but the printer isn't responding too well. I see four different options for HP drivers when I ask Kubuntu to install the printer. Not sure which one I should use. Is there a guide to installing laserjets with linux drivers somewhere?

The official HP page for my printer says:

HP Printers - Driver Support for Linux OS

For Linux downloads, HP recommends another website. If you need to download Linux drivers, you will be directed to a website that is outside HP Customer Support.

Not much help there, my browser is not directed to another page.

Now when I do ask Kubuntu to install my printer, it gives me four options for drivers (in addition to the CUPS driver that doesn't work well). 2 of them say HPCUPS 3.17.10, the other 2 say HPIJS 3.17.10.

HP LaserJet p1102w
HP 15-ef2126wm
9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

FWIW none of the drivers that I chose (I chose one HPCUPS and one HPIJS driver) gave me a responsive printer. After the printer was installed, I went to print a test page and nothing was printed. At least with the generic CUPS driver, I was able to get a test page, but no document was printed.

HP LaserJet p1102w
HP 15-ef2126wm
HP Recommended

@paulri 

Hello,

Please install your printer with the latest version of HPLIP available below.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hplip/files/hplip/3.19.12/hplip-3.19.12.run/download?use_mirror=nch...

First uninstall the old version of HPLIP, then restart the computer and install the latest version of HPLIP for your printer.

Do not hesitate to solicit us of needeed.

Best regards,

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your assistance. I went into the Konsole and was able to install the drivers you linked me to, but still nothing is being printed. I can install the printer, but whenever I try to print a test page, the error message (in the cue, the column on the far right) simply says "Failed." I found instructions on how to access the terminal online, I rebooted, allowed the whatever to install all the dependencies.

Not too sure what the problem is. I would never have installed another OS on my laptop if I thought I couldn't print. I ran Kubuntu & Ubuntu from a flash drive before doing this and I was able to print a test page, and IIRC some print jobs as well.

HP LaserJet p1102w
HP 15-ef2126wm
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please install the HPLIP Binary Plug-In, it is required for your printer model as listed below:

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/binary_plugin.html

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks for the link. I tried the first option, HP-setup, and it told me I had to install HP-plugin. I went and did that, and the end result is here, copied from the terminal:

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.19.12)
Plugin Installer ver. 3.0

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Plug-in version: 3.19.12
Installed HPLIP version: 3.19.12
Number of files to install: 64

Plugin installation failed
error: Python gobject/dbus may be not installed
error: Plug-in install failed.

HP LaserJet p1102w
HP 15-ef2126wm
HP Recommended

Hi,

We have at work exactly the same problem.

@ShlomiL  : you asked the OP to download the plugin on 1 Jan, thing that he did immediately and was nice and polite to report the problem the same day, which is :

Where were you after this ? We do not ask people to launch a command, and let them in the black hole after. Some customer may be following the thread. So I will ask you one more time, as I have the same problem on Ubuntu 18.04-3.

How do we fix this problem ?

Best Regards

Philippe

HP Recommended

Sorry Philippe, I just shared the documentation and I do not have much experience with Linux to offer any troubleshooting help.

I suggest checking the HPLIP site for better help on such, see the Troubleshooting section

if you do not find any documentation, you may submit a ticket too:

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/support

Hope that helps,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Dear Shlomi,

Nice and polite answer, thanks for it.

Here is the solution, following : https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/1813768.

You must disable apparmor for the plugin.

sudo aa-disable /usr/share/hplip/plugin.py

For this you need some tools, that should be already installed  on your system, but in case not, just type :

sudo apt-get install apparmor-utils

Then hp-plugin works ! (at least for some of us...)

Philippe

HP Recommended

khunphil, thanks for posting that link. I was able to follow the instructions (I think!) and for the first time since installing linux on a partition on my laptop last month, i was able to do more than print a test page. I will watch this over the next day or two, to see if this continues, and then I'll mark your post as the solution. But a big thanks, regardless!

HP LaserJet p1102w
HP 15-ef2126wm
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.