Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro M402-M403 n-dn series
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

This evening, my M402dn had a message about an upgrade being available and prompted me to install the upgrade. I (perhaps stupidly) accepted the prompt and the upgrade proceeded. When it was finished, the display went back to the normal Ready display with the IP address, but now also says Secure in the upper right. Now if I try to access any configuration options from the control pannel I get the message "Menu access is disabled." If I access the printer via the web interface, any of the configuration options prompt me for a username and password. I am certain that I didn't cofigure any username and password when I installed the printer a little over a year ago. Other than the restricted access, the printer seems to be working normally.

Is there a default username and password that I need to use or is there a way to cold-boot the printer to default settings. The only instructions I can find online require using the control panel, which is no longer an option.

Was there a legimate recent upgrade for this printer, or did I clulessly fall for some malware?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended
The default user is usually admin or possibly a administrator on the newer Printers and the default password would be blank, that is to say no password.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended
As a quick follow-up thought it's always a good idea on any new printer to go in and put a password on it using whatever the default username is then it least you have locked it down with credentials you picked.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.