Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet P1102W
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My printer ran out of toner.  I changed the cartridge with a new CE285A.  THe computer would not initialize, saying that it was the wrong toner cartridge.  When I tried to prime, there was an awful clicking/grinding noise which sounded like the cartridge drive mechanism was not fully engaged with the cartridge.  I'm thinking maybe the printer has died for good, but thought I would see if anyone had any insights into this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you return old empty cartridge is the noise still present? If there is no noise with old cartridge then you might have the defective new cartridge.

Also, sometimes a foreign object can block tray pickup mechanism and printer sounds loud like a machine gun.

My profile on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

If you return old empty cartridge is the noise still present? If there is no noise with old cartridge then you might have the defective new cartridge.

Also, sometimes a foreign object can block tray pickup mechanism and printer sounds loud like a machine gun.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Good call!  I can't seem to find an icon for me slapping my forehead...

When I first read this, I thought "no way do I still have that cartridge".  Then I looked and it was at the very bottom of my very full office trashcan (wonder about the cleaning crew sometimes).  When I put it in, it made the same noise when it primed, but then it went to ready.  It hadn't done that before.  I then went to device manager and ordered a test page and it printed!  Then it printed 7 more.  It was still skipping print, so I put the new cartridge back in, and viola...it prints with no noise at all.

Kudo's my friend!  I was about to toss a perfectly good printer in the dumpster!  I guess I will not chastise the cleaning crew this time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.