Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Laser M1217
Microsoft Windows XP

black vertical line down the right side of paper = have tried to clean small roller but nothing happened

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

copy from the glass still show a line down the side although it is fainter

I am going to use the clean printer on the computer printer and devices again -

thanks so much for all your help

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Black vertical line  printing often means that you have a bad toner cartridge needed to be replace or the fuser film is broken .

Take out the toner cartridge and check the drum if you find toner on the drum at the same place then it is the toner cartridge's issue.

HP Recommended

the toner is new and is ok

fuser film? this M1217 is old - is this repair possible or should I be looking at a new laser printer?

thanks

HP Recommended

If you can find another toner cartridge to try to see if it is the issue or not, even an old one will be done.

If you get exactly the same place and same pattern then it is the fuser film otherwise it is the cartridge.

If it is fuser film then you may need to find another one to replace it.

HP Recommended

thanks but where is the FUSER FILM? how do I fix that?

HP Recommended

The fuser is hot  and seats where the paper exit.

If you want to replace it yourself you'll need to buy a new film and go finding and downloading Service Manual.

Not that hard to do it yourself but i'll try the easiest way by changing the cartridge first even you said it's new but it doesn't it's good.

Yon can print any one page file when you see the tail of the paper is going to enter into the machine then open the toner door to make the printing stop then take out cartridge and the jammed paper.

Now check the image on the paper to see if the black vertical line is there or not before the paper goes into the fuser.

If the black vertical line is there before the paper goes into the fuser then it's the toner cartridge is to be blamed otherwise it's the fuse.

The image will be easily wipe off before the paper goes into the fuser.

HP Recommended

I did the print and opening the toner - no line no ink

since the printer is old I can't find the manual on line since they probably don't list is anymore

do you know where to find the manual and the fuser??

thanks again for your help

HP Recommended

I know I said this was solved However I just realized that when I print from my computer- either word doc or a check

the line appears - HOWEVER when I print from a file from online  - the line IS NOT THERE

does that make a difference?

HP Recommended

If there's no black vertical line when you copy from the glass or print from front panel then try to uninstall and reinstall driver.

HP Recommended

copy from the glass still show a line down the side although it is fainter

I am going to use the clean printer on the computer printer and devices again -

thanks so much for all your help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.