Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

So I think I have this figured out, except for one important part. When I input the name of the download file into the cmd prompt, it says the file doesn't exist. I enabled ftp printing in the printer interface, and did all the steps with cmd. Once I download the downgrade file, does it need to be opened or extracted or anything? I tried to open the file but I'm not sure how to do that because it's a .rfu file and I don't know what program to use to open it. Can someone please help? 

HP Recommended

Got it figured out. Printer is back to working again! Screw you HP. 

HP Recommended

No extraction necessary. For cmd to find the file, You have to change your working directory, or use the fully qualified path to the file. The fully qualified path would look something like: c:/users/yourName/downloads/theFile.rfu

HP Recommended

You don't type the printer ip in your search bar, you type it in the address bar. Another way to find your printer's web page is to go to file explorer > network > right click on the printer > properties > there should be a blue link to the printer's website.

HP Recommended

Thanks for posting this but I am getting stuck...after entering the remote file name i get this:

200 Port command successful.
425 Can't open data connection.

Any ideas what 425 is and why it can't open data connection?

I'm a novice home user without a lot of tech background...thanks for any additional help you can offer!

HP Recommended

I did some additional searching and found this link that worked for me:

[content removed]

I have now set my printer to NOT upgrade the firmware any longer.

HP Recommended

425 is an error code. Have you enabled FTP printing on your printer's webpage?

HP Recommended

Hi. I have the same problem and was glad when I saw your post. Unfortunately, the FTP link you referred to

can't be found - a 4040 error. Any idea?

br/SO

HP Recommended

Having the same issue. Found a link to download the old firmware in another thread. See link below

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/M180-firmware-update-blocked-cartriges/...

HP Recommended

I did enable ftp, still had error. However, I found another way to roll back the firmware so I am all set. Thanks for your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.