Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot! Worked perfectly fine! You saved me a couple of grands 🙂

Have now disabled upgrades ...

/SO

HP Recommended

hi,

i got upto this step but don't know what to type into dos to get to this next step.

put
Local file: HP_Laserjet_Pro_M180_M181_series_20200612.rfu
Remote: file: HP_Laserjet_Pro_M180_M181_series_20200612.rfu

my screen shows      ftp> 

i tried typing the following but nothing worked

Local file: HP_Laserjet_Pro_M180_M181_series_20200612.rfu

Remote: file: HP_Laserjet_Pro_M180_M181_series_20200612.rfu

HP_Laserjet_Pro_M180_M181_series_20200612.rfu

it keeps showing    invalid command

Please help

HP Recommended

Thanks for sharing on google

HP Recommended

How do i locate the ip address for my printer. because of the problem, it does not display the ip address like it usually does?

HP Recommended

Are we sure that this problematic firmware update is reacting to the brand of toner?

That seems far fetched that HP would intentionally do something so unethical - likely even illegal.  They would be opening themselves up to a rather large and public class-action suit in court, wouldn't they?

Even in the USA, hasn't the EFF fought and shot down the legality using digital locking to sabotage product competition?  I'm sure it's illegal here in Canada.

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue where the printer was showing Supply Problem after the Firmware update. I am using a direct USB connection from my computer to the printer.  I am not using a network connection. 

I've been able to roll back to the previous update and found and ran W10 HP_Laserjet_Pro_M180_M181_series_20200612 executable.  The printer shows that the Firmware is updated back to 20200612.  The computer recognizes the printer.  The Supply Problem message and flashing yellow light have gone away and the printer says READY.  However, nothing prints!  While having the print queue open I can see that it receives the command to print and that the print job was submitted.  But there is nothin in the queue and nothing prints.

This is maddening!  I've spent over 2 hours trying to get this to work and I have documents for work that need to be printed.  

HELP!!

HP Recommended

This isn't even the first time HP has done this. Back in 2016 they tried the exact same trick, except the EFF shamed them into a reversal.

I'm thinking this time it affected fewer people so it might not cause such backlash. We'll see. 

HP Recommended

so, what can be done now?  As I mentioned I successfully downgraded the frimware back to the previous version.  The error message of SUPPLY PROBLEM has disappeared and the printer shows as READY.  My PC sees the printer.  When I click to print a TEST PRINT it says that the print job was sent to the printer.  However, the printer does not wake up and print.

What next??

HP Recommended

Hi. It worked fine for me. My guess is that you stumbled into another problem,  not related to mine. Just to be clear  - I didn't come up with the solution,  I just followed instructions in another thread,  which I'm unable to find now. So, sorry, I can't help you. Best of luck.

/SO

HP Recommended

HP has removed all previous versions of the firmware from its site.  Previous versions are still available for downloaded from 3rd party toner companies.  Unfortunately, HP will remove any links that I post.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.