Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Yes, drop an email or other means of contacting you.

HP Recommended

Ok, so here's the dummy version.  I hope it helps someone.

As described elsewhere in this post, turn on FTP in your printer.

Be sure your computer and your printer are on the same network.

Connect your printer to your network and find it's IP address.... perhaps in your routers DHCP table. Write that down.  Probably like 192.168.#. ##

Locate and download the needed firmware version, rename it to something easy to transcribe like,      hpupdate.rfu   and then cut and paste that renamed file into your hard drive's C: drive area (there is less folders to note in the path later)  literally it'll be C:\hpupdate.rfu

1) click on the windows start button

2) type cmd  and press enter

3) When the command prompt dialoge box comes up, type this      CD\       and press enter

4) C:    (the C: should then appear now)

5) at the C: type FTP and then your printers IP address you found earlier:       FTP 192.168.#.##  and press enter.

6)  Press enter again, bypassing user name

7) Press enter again, bypassing password

The FTP command prompt will then replace the C:   looking like this      FTP>     

9) At the FTP prompt that is there put your file's location in there and press enter as below.

FTP> PUT C:\hpupdate.rfu  

10) The rest should take care of itself, you should see your printer updating, etc.

go back into your settings and turn off the FTP option.  Make changes to updates as necessary to other update settings.

email me at gleasondjataoldotcom

HP Recommended

Glad you received it!  Pass it on to those in need!

HP Recommended

Thank you for the drive link, you saved me I couldn't find that firmware anywhere.

HP Recommended

I’m completely stuck and a total technology noob.  I got all the way through your great instructions but keep getting File not found message 

HP Recommended

Corridori,

If you’ve got the firmware on your C drive below Windows folder, Users folder, program files folder etc, then it’s just a matter of being sure you’re giving the right location for it. 

C:\Yourfirmwarefile’sname.rfu 

in my instructions, it looks like I failed to include a backslash on the bottom example.  I’ve edited it.

HP Recommended

Hello, does anyone know how to remove that firmware update on a Mac laptop? I don't have windows to follow the steps described. Thank you! 

HP Recommended

Teebee412 posted the Mac solution on page 1 of this thread and included links.  

HP Recommended

[content removed]

Install following direction

(use Method four: Update the firmware at the control panel using a USB connection)

(also make sure you don't have space in the printer or computer name referred to in the direction)

HP LaserJet - Update the firmware | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

[personal information removed]I just put my Printer on Network and the firmware update this morning. Now My printer is not functional anymore with the toner I have at the moment.

HP COLOR LASERJET MFP M180nw

Thanks a lot

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.