Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro M203dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a M203dw laserjet printer, and when i go to print out a document, the text is either stretched or the font is replaced with something else. so it looks like it has expanded or shrunk. it does this never in the same place on the print out and is never the same font size or style.

There has been no new hardware or software installed, and the only thing that was updated is Windows10.

I have tried using different drivers for the printer (Postscript and PCL6). both from the drivers page.

i have tried different page setups - letter instead of A4.

i have tried tracking changes on the file to see if something is there on the page.

i have tried printing the same document on another printer, and it works fine.

Help, i'm at my wits end.

Thanks

Connor

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@ConnorLewis

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to check connectivity

Download a special version of HP Print and Scan Doctor.

1. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.

2. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.

3. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.

• If your printer is not in the list, turn it off and on and then click Retry.

• If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.

4. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.

5. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

6. Try to print.

If the issue persists, I recommend you delete the driver at the root level and Install the drivers, follow the steps below:

Remove the USB if connected

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Then, Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-officejet-pro-6970-all-in-one-printer-... to download and install the HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 All-in-One series Full Feature Software and Drivers.

Try to print.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for joining the HP Community.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi Raj,

I completed the scan doctor wiped any previous drivers and installed the printer driver as per your instructions, but it still prints funny, less so, but it's still there,

i re-ran your instructions, but changed the print driver to suit the printer from the HP Drivers tab. but still no luck.

Thanks

Connor

HP Recommended

@ConnorLewis

Refer to this document: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-laserjet-pro-m203-printer-series/9365400/model/9365402/docum... for Fixing Poor Print Quality

Keep me posted.

Have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

@Raj1788

Sort of success, i found the disc that came with the printer, and installed the driver(its older than the ones on the driver store).

The first couple of test pages managed to print completely fine, no issues, After the third attempt, it straight back stretching the page.

Could it be a paper feed issue, a sticky roller inside the printer, just voicing thoughts since i've tried multiple drivers.

It shouldn't really be the cause since its less than 6 months old.

Thanks for your continued help.

Connor

HP Recommended

@ConnorLewis

Check if the tray rollers are clean

1. Pull out the tray to access the rollers.

Examples of the roller location for various printers.
    NOTE: 

The following images are examples of where the tray rollers can be located. Your printer might be slightly different.

Figure: Roller locations for Tray 1 or the multipurpose tray

Roller locations for Tray 1 or the multipurpose tray

Figure: Roller locations of the cassette trays

Roller locations of the cassette trays
  2. Check if the rollers above the tray are contaminated or dirty.

1. Use distilled water, if it is available.

2. Spray water on the lint free cloth or dab the cloth in water and wring it out before cleaning the rollers.

WARNING: 

Do not spray water directly on to the printer.

3. Wipe the rollers with the dampened cloth to remove the dust, debris, or contamination.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have cleaned the rollers, but to no avail.

tried clearing out the driver for the printer, and started a fresh.

it seemed to work for 1 copy of a document, after that it starts again.

im lost on ideas.

Thanks

Connor

HP Recommended

@ConnorLewis

Appreciate all your time and efforts!

This could be a hardware issue, I would personally suggest you contact our HP Support. 

Click here: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Keep me posted on further assistance. Hope that helps! 

Have a great day ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.