Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 1 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

M251nw won't print: "Memory is low. Job Cancelled"

HP LaserJet 200 color M251nw
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

HP LaserJet 200 color M251nw suddenly will not print AT ALL. printer display reads: ""Memory is low. Job Cancelled"

Web configuration page reads:

Total Memory: 128 MBytes

Available Memory: 60.4 MBytes

printer is also running latest HP firmware: 

Firmware Datecode: 20150212

there are no jobs in queue. printer has been unplugged 24-hours and problem persists.

will someone please respond to this thread with INSTRUCTIONS FOR HARDWARE RESET as i've seen in multiple other posts, please?

thanks in advance.

22 REPLIES 22
FrickinLasers
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 2 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hello? HP Support rep? 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,578 11,569 564 612
Message 3 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@FrickinLasers

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 
This is a great place to get support, find answers to your technical queries.

I understand that you are getting a "Low Memory" error when trying to print. I will certainly do my best to help you.

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your own?

How long are you facing this issue?

I suggest you do a Hard Reset

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.
(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Check the driver name that is installed on the printer. Make sure it shows just the printer's name.
Click the Apple menu and then click System Preferences. Click Printers & Scanners, highlight the printer name on the left side and on the right side of the screen, it should show the printer's name. (Laserjet M276)

If the full printer name isn't listed correctly, delete it and add the printer name back in from the list. Click the - sign to delete the driver and then click the + sign to add the driver, you might have to click the drop down to select the printer's name to add it in.

Try printing again.

I have provided the steps for setting up the printer through IP Protocol if the issue persists, which has resolved other "Low Memory" errors.

Print a Configuration page to get the printer's IP address. HP LaserJet Pro 200 Color MFP M276n and MFP M276nw - Printing a Configuration Report.

Delete the printer from Printers and Scanners.
Click on the + button, select the IP Protocol across the top, type in the printer's IPv4 address, select Jet Direct below and then Apply.

Try printing again.

Keep me posted how it goes!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

FrickinLasers
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 4 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thanks for your response, Raj1788.

i did try DIY troubleshooting: i left the printer unplugged for ~1 day, but it didn't solve the problem.

is unplugging the printer for 60 seconds really the Hard Reset procedure? i saw in multiple other threads that HP reps sent Hard Reset instructions via private message... this is the first time i've seen it posted in the clear as you've done here.

mine is a M251nw by the way... you mentioned Laserjet M276 several times in your response, if that matters...

i finally got the printer working again by deleting the printer from Sys Prefs "Printers & Scanners" and then adding it back again. i'm not certain, but it may have been set up to use AirPrint previously (but note that it had been working properly this way for years). when i re-added the printer this time i selected to "Use" "HP LaserJet 200 color M251" instead of AirPrint and it appears to be working now.

thank you again for your response. i will be certain to post again here if this fix proves to be temporary and fails again.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,578 11,569 564 612
Message 5 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@FrickinLasers

Thanks for the reply,

I am so glad that the printer is working fine without any issues.

Feel free to get back to us for any other technical queries.

If you like to appreciate my efforts clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' and give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up'.

Have a great day!

Cheers;)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

0 Kudos
FrickinLasers
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 6 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Raj,

could you please respond to my question above?

"is unplugging the printer for 60 seconds really the Hard Reset procedure? i saw in multiple other threads that HP reps sent Hard Reset instructions via private message... this is the first time i've seen it posted in the clear as you've done here."

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,385 2,228
Message 7 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@FrickinLasers,

It looks like you were interacting with @Raj1788, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Jeet_Singh & I'm at your service.

As I understand you have a question regarding Hard reset, let me help you with this. 

unplugging the printer for 60 seconds really the Hard Reset procedure? This is actually referred to as Power reset on the printer and the information on the private message is actually the steps to perform an advanced reset on the printer, doing this will reset the printer back to the factory settings.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than glad to help you.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts,

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RiderPro
Level 4
78 77 6 66
Message 8 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That is normal power reset mentioned in the message.

There is another reset called as NVRAM reset which is done from the "secret" menu on the printer and those steps are sent in private message so you might need those steps to fix this issue.
FrickinLasers
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 9 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

can you or someone else please private message me the NRAM reset procedure then?

0 Kudos
RiderPro
Level 4
78 77 6 66
Message 10 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sure,I have sent it to you in the private message ,please check it out.
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation