Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M281FDW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does anyone have any advice on using third party toner with an M281FDW? I get "supply memory error" on all cartridges.

I have found comments on other HP printers suggesting that downgrading firmware to a version where "cartridge policy" is available and turning it off might work, but my firmware (20171210) does have this option, and it is set to off (it was out of the box).

Any advice? I'm reluctant to have to accept that I have to pay more than the price of the printer (£250) for official HP toner, and if that really is the case then I think I'm going to have to introduce it to the bin and make a mental note not to waste any more of my money on HP kit 😕

I get the feeling I'm not alone here, but there are so many places that sell toner that they list as compatible with this specific printer that it seems like there must be some way to get it working.

Help!

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@fieldeffect

Welcome to HP forums, I see that 

I am sending you a private message. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My MFP M281cdw is not recognizing third party replacement toner.  I called the HP helpline and he said that is will only take HP toner and that any other violates the warranty.  This is a lie.  What is the solution [edit]

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem, but HP seems to be keeping the solution secret in private messages. Can I get one of those magic private messages?

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem and would like one of those magic "private messages" with the solution!

HP Recommended

I have the same problem and would like one of those magic "private messages" with the resolution!!!

HP Recommended

You need to purchase 3rd parry toner that complies with the law, this means it must be chipped to identify itself as non-HP toner. These chips add to the cost of producing a cartridge so some of the very cheap cartridge do not contain the chip and therefore will not work. Blame the 3rd party vendor not HP.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

This happened to me yesterday. Everything was working fine then suddenly got the supply memory error on all cartridges. On searching for this error, I suspected there had been an automatic firmware update that now disabled 3rd party cartridges and was trying to find an older version of the firmware for downgrading. However, after checking my printer, it's in fact still using firmware 20171210 and both Cartridge Policy and Cartridge Protection are set to Off.

If it's a question of cartridge not having a chip, why did it work fine up until yesterday? What did HP do that suddenly disabled my cartridges?

Has anyone found a solution?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@DrRZ

Welcome to HP support community.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.