DonPablo21
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

M402dn "not connected" from Mac - iPad prints fine

LaserJet M402dn
macOS 10.12 Sierra

My M402dn has been losing its wireless connection to my MacBook Air (connected to a Charter cable modem network via an Ethernet cable to an Apple Airport Extreme), leading to "The printer is not connected" errors in the print dialog. This can happen after a few minutes of not being used, or after 1 or 2 of a series of print jobs that I have sent.  The easiest way to get it to reconnect is to unplug, then replug, the Ethernet cable, at which point it will wake and print a few print jobs before losing the connection.

This doesn't seem to be a problem with the printer itself, though -- my iPad has no problem printing to the same printer almost instantly, even after the Mac can't find it on the network.  I used HP's downloadable installer last week to make sure that the latest driver is installed on my Mac, and the printer's firmware updated shows it as up to date.  Could this be an issue with the printer's Mac driver on MacOS Sierra (10.12.5)?

1 REPLY 1
DonPablo21
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

M402dn "not connected" from Mac - iPad prints fine

Following advice I saw elsewhere, I skipped the automatic printer recognition / configuration, and set up a new printer manually on my Mac using the printer's local IP address. This seemed to work -- the printer has not given me any "not connected" errors in the several times I've tried to print to it since then.  Anybody else facing this problem might want to try this workaround, even if this doesn't solve the original problem of printers that were installed normally frequently dropping their wireless connection.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation