Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LasterJet M452dn
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Printer goes to sleep at the prescribed 1 minute mark and then immediately turns back on. I have disabled ePrint and web services. I have turned back on. I am out of ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JMueksch 

Hello

In order to resolve this issue, please update the printer firmware available below.
https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/FW_CPE_Commercial/M452dn_nw/HP_LaserJet_M452dn_nw_FW_20190...

Regards,

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@JMueksch 

Hello,

If the printer is connected to the network, the printer will only go into sleep mode and will not turn off. This is the normal behavior of the printer you describe. The printer will wake up when you send a print job to it.

When Ports Are Active: When this option is selected the printer will not shut down unless all ports are inactive. An active network link or fax connection will prevent the printer from shutting down.

Your printer has a 2-line Control panel, so please look at the correct section in the manual.

Refer to the printer User Guide  for energy saving settings.

I remain at your disposal of need.

Regards,

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately this does not solve the problem. As you can see below and I also confirmed on my 2 line control panel, the printer is set to go to sleep @1 minute with no delay. So literally at 1 minute it goes to sleep and within 5 seconds it wakes it self back up again. I do really appreciate the help and do hope we can solve it! Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 1.31.18 PM.png

HP Recommended

@JMueksch 

Hello,

This Sleep/Auto-off mode only allows you to put the printer to sleep after 1 minute and once you launch a print job the printer will wake up.

If you leave the printer idle for 2 hours it will shut down, to turn it back on press the On/Off button.

Do not hesitate to solicite us if needeed.

Best regards,

HP Recommended

I think you are not understanding the problem. Literally I leave my home office, turn of the lights, and the printer just cycles every minute. After 1 minute goes to sleep and it immediately wakes up. Another minute passes, it goes to sleep, it wakes right back up. And again, sleep wake. And again, sleep wake. I am not sending any printing jobs or anything. The 1 minute cycle will continue indefinitely until I shut the printer down completely. Basically the printer never thinks it is idle and thus will never shut down (or stay asleep)-- I just cannot figure why it keeps waking up from sleep mode every minute. 

HP Recommended

@JMueksch 

Hello

In order to resolve this issue, please update the printer firmware available below.
https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/FW_CPE_Commercial/M452dn_nw/HP_LaserJet_M452dn_nw_FW_20190...

Regards,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.