Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet M501dn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The new printer takes 30 seconds or longer to print each page requested. As soon as I hit print I can here the printer startup so I know it got the print job but it will not stat printing for up to a few minutes. I checked all the settings and it's not trying to store the job. I need this to print faster. Please help.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

which driver do you have loaded? If you used plug and play Windows will install a Microsoft driver and the performance is poor with Microsoft v4 or class drivers. HP drivers offer much better performance . How are you connecting to the printer?  Just because the printer starts does not mean it has received the complete print job. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

HP LaserJet Pro M501 Printer series PCL-6 v4 Full Software and Drivers. Networked with a static ip.

HP Recommended

what file type are you trying to print and from what program? Does it do it on every job regardless of the file type or application?

Is there a desktop switch in the loop? Does the network cable go straight from the wall to the printer or via a multiport switch? You can try changing the auto negotiate or duplex setting from auto to the max speed available should be in the network / advanced tab using the web interface.

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.
HP Recommended

It doesn't mater what file type or if it comes from a local program like word or one of our online remote programs. They all take a long time. The printer cable goes into a 24 port POE switch in a non POE port. That switch is hook into our Cisco router.  

HP Recommended

Apologies, but I don't have a 501 in the office to verify exactly where the settings are. From the printer control panel on a M402, you go to Network setup / link speed / and change that from "Automatic" to 1000TX full or half- I've seen that "auto" setting slow printers down or cause a drop in communication when 100mb  El cheapo brand switches are in use. The M402 doesn't have a setting in my EWS to change that setting in the network tab under advanced, but on some printers it is there- you just have to hunt around for it. It has to be done from the printer control panel on some printers and may require a power cycle on the printer to get the benefit of the speed change.

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.
HP Recommended

I can access all that in the web browser by using the printer static IP address, I checked it and I had already set it to 1000tx with no change. Good idea, as I have been trying all I can think of and not found the correct thing yet. I came here for fresh ideas and i'm thankful for the help. Keep them coming.

HP Recommended

how up to date is the operating system? There were several issues with win 10 a few updates back and it wreaking havoc with the print spooler. You may want to try to uninstall and reinstall the driver. Maybe the UPD postscript driver might work better. I had a customer have similar issues trying to print converted tif images. Long delays between prints. Running the latest win 10 updates and reinstalling the driver via the old school control panel versus the printers and scanners option resolved their issue.

HP Recommended

Double check for a duplicate IP address (happens to the best of us) and I also suggest that you might find better performance using the HP UPD driver. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.