Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color LJ M680z

Printer is saying “Out of Paper” in tray 4. Removed media and replaced cassette tray half full. Close tray and you can here a clicking sound and still getting error. 

I am pretty sure it is either the sensor flag not reading when paper is in the tray, a tray 4 solenoid sticking, or the tray 4 lifter motor is not working, causing the printer to throw the error because it never lifts the tray to engage the sensor flag. 

I was wondering if there is something else that so should try and look for as well? I know on the M630 we had this same issue and it ended up being a spring on the pickup assembly that had been knocked loose. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I checked the paper cassette guides and they were out of position. This resolved the issue.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Had this issue when the paper present flag was broken. Replacing the pickup assembly is usually required. Pretty straight forward job takes less than an hour if first time, less than 30 minutes the second time.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thank You. I will try this today and let you know what I find.

HP Recommended

I checked the paper cassette guides and they were out of position. This resolved the issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.