Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

This is my first post here.  I just bought a new P1102w printer.  I set it up to use the USB.  Now I want to use it wireless but I use a MAC filter through my router.  I think I found the MAC address for the printer.  It was under hardware address and had 12 characters.  I entered that into my router.  Now how do I swtch from USB to wireless?  I tried reading the manual but couldn't find it.  I did disconnect the USB cord and press the wireless button but nothing happened.  I tried printing a page but nothing printed.   Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

First, MAC filtering is not an effective security measure and it makes your network a pain to manage.  Read more about it here.

First, unplug the USB cable from your printer and PC.  If you use Windows: Start > All Programs > Hewlett-Packard > [you printer model] > Add a Device.  When it asks, choose a Network device and follow the instructions.

If that does not work, get the latest software for your printer from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

First, MAC filtering is not an effective security measure and it makes your network a pain to manage.  Read more about it here.

First, unplug the USB cable from your printer and PC.  If you use Windows: Start > All Programs > Hewlett-Packard > [you printer model] > Add a Device.  When it asks, choose a Network device and follow the instructions.

If that does not work, get the latest software for your printer from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

I'll try that tonight.  Thanks

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, HP chose not to actually print the MAC address on either the device or the box. If the issue is that you are using MAC filtering and need to know the MAC address to put that in the filter list, then this post provides a workaround.

Use these instructions at your own risk.

1. In your router admin page, turn on logging. Clear your DHCP log.

2. Disable MAC filtering.

3. Turn on your printer and press the wireless button.

4. Review your DHCP Client log for a RECEIVE request. This is the MAC address you seek.

5. BE VERY CAREFUL to enable MAC filtering BUT BE SURE TO PERMIT ADDRESSES (the default is usually to prevent address, which will lock your own computer out of your network. If that happens, you'll need to use the traditional RJ45 cable to get back to your admin screen!)

6. Using the usual procedure, add your network printer. If Windows doesn't find the printer, you can (not suggested) use the IP address, but be aware that your DHCP will eventually assign a new IP address unless they are statically assigned. I don't entirely understand why Windows sometimes finds network printers and other times it doesn't. 

By all means, feel free to ask HP to follow the industry and provide the MAC address on all of its wireless products. I'm not sure why they don't do this already.

I hope this helps.

HP Recommended

For anyone who has ventured here with the same problem, here is the actual solution (not the quasi-hack non-solution provided by Print-Doc). Go to the html-config page accessed via a web browser through the USB connection. On OSX, this is done through the printer utility (System Prefs > Printers > Your Printer > Options & Supplies > Utility > Open Printer Utility > HTML Config (only in a safari browser -because why bother hosting a proper settings page!). For Windows, see here (convert USB to Wireless). Select the information tab and access the Network summary; the first item is the hardware MAC address. 

HP Recommended

Hi Isewake

Since the printer software is already installed you will just need to configure the printer over the wireless network.

Print out a configuration report and make sure the ssid and ip address are cleared.
(hold down the x button and when the printer makes a noise let go)

Connect the printer by usb to the computer.
Then go to start, all programs, hp, laserjet, wireleless configuration wizard, follow the steps to setup the
wireless.

Then try and print.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

there is no screen on the Laser jet  I printed the report  how do i clear the ssid and IP address?

HP Recommended

I am trying to connect the p1102w to the wifi net but when I follow the instructions posted as soon a I click on HTML Config it immediately takes me back to the previous window that has the Open Printer Utility... so I never can reach the point to input the key.  Any suggestions? I have OSX 10.7.5

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.