Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M176
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My MFP M176n recently stopped printing. I have followed all the steps and procedures (ScanDoctor, reinstallign drivers, rebooting the printer etc.) without success. 

The scanner function works perfectly, but the printer is "not connected" or with "unknown status".

Curiously, while in control panel and in settings everything looks ok, sometimes (not always) in available printers the PC "sees" two different devices with the same name.

Could somebody please help ? Thanks a lot in advance

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Let me try and assist.Can you make a copy or demo page print from the machine.If this works i think you should uninstall the printer driver from the computer and reinstall the driver.This seems to me as a driver problem reading your post.Maybe under reports print a configuration report and if available a status report of the printer just to be sure that the printer is in working order.Hope this helps.

I am A certified Copier Technician.
It is so nice to give some help where possible and the forum is a great idea Thank You.Sometimes a picture speaks louder than words to find a solution.Should you find my help use full just give some credit for my effort please.
.Thank You.Copier-Pro
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the “Accept as Solution”button, “Thumbs up" button!

#################################################################
I'M NOT AN HP EMPLOYEE AND DO ANSWER THESE QUESTION ON MY OWN BEHALF.
HP Recommended
Thank you for your assistance. Yes, the printer can make a copy or a demo page itself. I tried once again to reinstall the driver but still no communication between computer and printer, same "unknown status"
Can you or somebody else help please ?
HP Recommended

This could be that the usb port in the printer has loose or bad connection.If possible connect the printer with network connection or with a cross over network cable and try again.Hope  this will help.

It is so nice to give some help where possible and the forum is a great idea Thank You.Sometimes a picture speaks louder than words to find a solution.Should you find my help use full just give some credit for my effort please.
.Thank You.Copier-Pro
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the “Accept as Solution”button, “Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
Thank you for the suggestion. I tried network wireless and ethernet connection, same problem. How else can I sort this out ?
HP Recommended

This sounds tome that we tried all that was possible and now you will have to change the formatter board to solve the problem,Hope this information will help.If you find this as a solution please mark it on the forum as a solution.

.Thank You.Copier-Pro

HP Recommended

Thank you but... this is not a solution.

This is clearly a software problem and I'm not going to scrap the motheboard of a a 18-months old printer. I'll directly complain with the buyer.

If anybody can help please post.

HP Recommended

Maybe if posible try the printer on a nother computer just to see if the problem is operating system related.Hope you will be able to sort the problem.

.Thank You.Copier-Pro

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.