Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro MFP M26a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

Suddenly my Windows 10 64 bit recognizes the printer but not the scanner

I was scanning some document and I was able to scan the first 12 pages without problem, but when I tried to scan page 13 I couldn’t do it anymore.

I can make a copy from the printer and I can print a word document but cannot scan, indeed I tried to scan with HP Smart, HP scan, Windows 10 scan, but on all I got error messages such as "can't connect / can't find / no response to the computer".

Even HP web products detection couldn’t identify the printer

I did run HP Print and Scan doctor and on step 1 it tells that my HP Laser Jet Pro etc. is visible and installed but on step 2 it says that is communicating with my HP Laser Jet Pro etc. however the line showing the progress almost reaches the end but then it stops.

Note

The printer is listed on device manager

Didn’t do any software or hardware changes on the computer

Didn’t make any change to the printer

I did the following actions to no avail:

Turned off the printer

Unplugged the power cord from the printer

Waited more than 30 seconds and plugged back the power cord and turned on the printer

The USB cable is fine

I disconnected and reconnected USB cable

I changed the USB port

I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer driver using HP Laser Jet Pro MFP M25-M27 full solution

I restarted the computer

I really hope that someone can help me.

Nicolino

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@nicolaco, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

If you are able to make copies on the printer, it means the hardware of the printer is working fine. Let us try these steps:

Restart Windows Image Aquisition service

1. Click the Windows logo button on your keyboard and R simultaneously to invoke the Run box.
  2. Type the.msc services and click OK.
  3. Look for Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) and double-click it. Make sure that the startup type is automatically set and the service status running in the pop-up pane.
  4. If the status of the service is already in progress, click Stop to stop it, then click Start to restart the service.
  5. To save the modifications, click Apply and OK.
  6. Restart the PC and try scanning.

Use 'HP Scan extended' application to scan from your PC. Click here to download the app.

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

Note: Not all HP printer supports this application.

If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Install Win 7 compatible printer driver on your Win 10 PC

Clean reinstallation of Pre-installed HP drivers

1.  In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
  2.  Select your HP Printer 
  3.  Select Uninstall 
  4.  In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
  5.  In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
  6.  Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 
  7.  Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
  8.  Click on the “Drivers” tab 
  9.  Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
  10.  Select Ok 
  11.  Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
  12.  Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Try scanning.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@nicolaco, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

If you are able to make copies on the printer, it means the hardware of the printer is working fine. Let us try these steps:

Restart Windows Image Aquisition service

1. Click the Windows logo button on your keyboard and R simultaneously to invoke the Run box.
  2. Type the.msc services and click OK.
  3. Look for Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) and double-click it. Make sure that the startup type is automatically set and the service status running in the pop-up pane.
  4. If the status of the service is already in progress, click Stop to stop it, then click Start to restart the service.
  5. To save the modifications, click Apply and OK.
  6. Restart the PC and try scanning.

Use 'HP Scan extended' application to scan from your PC. Click here to download the app.

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

Note: Not all HP printer supports this application.

If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Install Win 7 compatible printer driver on your Win 10 PC

Clean reinstallation of Pre-installed HP drivers

1.  In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
  2.  Select your HP Printer 
  3.  Select Uninstall 
  4.  In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
  5.  In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
  6.  Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 
  7.  Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
  8.  Click on the “Drivers” tab 
  9.  Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
  10.  Select Ok 
  11.  Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
  12.  Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Try scanning.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

my problem was fixed. tks a lot

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.