Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
MFP M277dw
macOS 10.12 Sierra

When trying to print, either single or multiple page documents, the printer starts the job then stops and displays a prompt to load paper in tray 1. Tray 1 is the manual-loading, single sheet tray vs. tray 2, the automtic loading tray capable of holding many sheets of paper. 

If I manually load the paper via tray 1, the document will print appropriately. 

I cannot find a setting to make the printer utilize tray 2 as a default or with preference over tray 1. I've tried resetting the printer, updated the printer firmware and drivers with no avail. All the other functions of the printer work as they should. 

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.5

Color Laserjet MFP M277dw

HP PostScript Driver 19.13

Firmware version 2016-09-21

Wireless connection via home network

Duplexer installed 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello, @Magwilton – Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome to the HP Forum! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

I understand that you are having issues while printing from the main tray on your HP LaserJet printer. Is the issue specific to printing or does this happen while copying as well? Let me know.

Let’s start by resetting the printing system which will make all the settings to its default state. Here are the steps:

• Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.
  • Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.
  • Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.
  • Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.
  • Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.
  • Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list
  • Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.
  • Click the “Add button” (+).
  • Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.
  • Click “Print Using...”, and then select the name of your printer (By default “Airprint” would be selected)

Now, try printing on a regular page. Load the paper, make sure the paper size is selected correctly and then check.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Specificly on an Android Device.

1. Download the "HP Smart" App.

2. Go into the App.

3. Go to the "Print Documents" section.

4. Check off a document that you want to print (Any Document is okay this is just to get to the next step).

5. Click the Printer icon at the top of the screen.

6. Click the Three dots at the top right of the screen.

7. Settings.

8. Paper.

9. Uncheck the "Automaticly Detect Paper"  Option.

Now it should allow you to chose whichever tray you want when printing...

HP Recommended

could not get to work with Android device, default is tray one

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.